September
17, 2018
Greetings from
man’s best friend’s friend,
Every once in
a while someone will ask; “You still got that dog Max? He must be old by now.”
This question,
usually proffered in a tone of incredulity, is often prompted by some mild
complaint on my part, one of the classics I am compelled to wheel out from time
to time.
To be clear, I
am not prone to complaining, or to talking about Max. But, it is a rare moment that I might mention
Max that it is not paired with a complaint.
It usually has something to do with some inconvenience put upon me by
the dog.
The lifespan
of dogs of Max’s ilk is typically somewhat shorter than what he is currently
enjoying. This leads not only to the incredulous
tone when someone asks about him, but also provides something like 100 dog years
of material with which I might pair with less than complimentary commentary.
Depending on
the era, the dog produced different reasons for complaint. There was a number of years that he barked at
everything from squirrels to passing cars to the sound of a toilet flushing. There was a period of time when the dog slept
on my bed. There have been various
things torn, lost, stained, and scratched, which I blame him for. I’m not prone to harbor grudges but they must
be kept somewhere.
Honestly I
have no reason to write about Max today.
He has not done anything particularly remarkable, other than a certain
air he has taken on, or given off, I’m not sure which. The only reason I mention him at all because
there might come a time when I’ll mention him for the last time, and I want to
resist becoming maudlin on the subject. And
avoid any regrets.
I don’t like
to overlay human attributes to dogs, it’s a pet peeve of mine. I don’t think of Max as a person, he is a dog. I believe if he thinks of me at all, he probably
does not think of me as a dog, but rather as whatever the mind of a dog thinks
of when it sees a person. That is our
relationship; somewhat formal, somewhat awkward, somewhat laughable if you look
at it from far enough away.
But I will
admit that I have had more conversations with him in the last year or so than
perhaps previously. I use the word
‘conversation’ loosely since Max is deaf as a stone and being a dog does not
speak or understand English, which also true of a stone.
It is more of
an instinct when I speak to him. It
might be 1:30 in the morning and he has been yowling at me from downstairs for
some reason and I show up and ask, “Do you want to go outside?” He does not have any facial expression that I
can discern. He looks at me the same
whether he wants food or water or to pee on the floor. So my question, posed in the miasma of near-REM,
might just as well be “Do you want to fly a dirigible?” But I am making an effort.
On our walks I
will sometimes confide in Max. I will
tell him about things I am thinking about, sometimes asking his opinion, if it
seems appropriate. It really never is, I’m
just trying to be nice. I don’t think it
matters to him, but it sometimes does to me.
When I am home
alone with him I try to be kind, friendly even.
Maybe our tenuous-relationship momentum is too strong. His response, one honed to razor sharpness
over years of practice, is that of total indifference. The only sign he gives that he knows I am
there is to leave the room I am in to avoid having to raise enough energy to
show annoyance.
Max is not as
steady as he once was, and I am not certain how good his vision is, which can
lead to some comical standoffs with walls that he might think of as doors. He still looks out the window, and for all I
know sees the squirrels who were once his nemesis, but evidently has forgiven
them. Mostly he walks between the places
where he sleeps. Which is not in my bed.
Once in a
while a little of the younger dog appears; when he comes in from the rain and
gets dried off he may bound around a bit, or perhaps on a walk he will break
into a little lope until he gets winded.
It’s probably not true, but I think he does it for us, to show us he’s still
in there.
When I am out
on the deck eating breakfast, somehow he knows it, even if he has been
sleeping. I will hear him tap at the glass door and see him staring at me, same
look as 1:30 in the morning, but we both know it means “I want to be with you. And eat your bagel.”
Max is old by
now. I don’t know how old exactly and I
am not going to guess because I will get corrected later in the day. He has developed old dog habits, including
some that no one would want me to mention while they were drinking their
morning coffee. I can mention that he has
become much more vocal, particularly in his getting up and lying down. Even as I write this he is lying behind me in
the living room complaining, I think, probably about me.
Like any relationship
of this many years, Max and I have had our share of good and bad. In spite of all my complaining about him, I
know he has been a good companion for my family. In our way we have reached an accord of
sorts. I have to guess at his share of
it, being that he
does not speak
English, and I imagine he is guessing at mine, what with my limitations. In some ways it’s a beautiful thing.
Hope
this finds you in good company,
David
Copyright
© 2018 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment