Monday, May 14, 2018

Felled Pine




May 14, 2018

Greetings from the root of the problem,

It looks like a ship has run aground in our back yard.  Some ghost ship, its rotting ribs exposed, plowed through the forest near our house and finally crashed through the edge of the brush.
It seems to be dragging itself out of the woods now, the branches heaving the carcass from the undergrowth onto to the manicured edge of our yard.

It was a pine tree, long since given up on the evergreen sham, standing back in the woods in brown anonymity.  I would never have paid any attention to it except that during a rather invigorating windstorm recently the pine determined that it was time to retire from the tree business.  

It might have been fifty feet tall when it changed its perspective from vertical to horizontal.  If I recall my completely fictional botany education correctly, and doing some simple math which I never mastered, I can estimate this tree is about one thousand or one billion years old.

This development creates a call for action.  (I should state here that while I do not feel that call, I am in close proximity to others who do, and this initiates the process of osmosis.)  This former tree is threatening to disturb the harmony of the carefully crafted landscape surrounding us, which if not corrected will fracture our Wa.

And so I have set about planning.  First I will need a large, limb-shredding chain saw.  Something with lots of horsepower, or megabytes or kilojoules or whatever.  Then I am going to put together a complex series of harnesses and pulleys so I can climb the fifteen feet or so to the highest flank of the pine to begin cutting. 

There, dangling from that precarious perch, I will flail away at the tree until it gives in, dismembering it one knotty spine at a time.  And then I will begin slicing the trunk into manageable thousand-pound sections, so I can more easily roll them to the curb where the sanitation department can ignore them. 

I have done some time/motion projections and I estimate that I should have the project completed in a fortnight.  Unless I misunderstand the definition of ‘fortnight’ which I recall from my fictional horology class as ‘one million years’.

Or.

It becomes an art installation.  Our community is starved for culture and how better to introduce it than through horticulture.  My vision for this piece would be to put up some tasteful red ropes slung between locally harvested plastic stanchions.  There would be a neatly worded plaque that gave an ambiguous explanation of the piece, and of course an invitation to visit the gift shoppe. (Spelled with an extra consonant AND an extra vowel to instill a sense of expensiveness.)

I would title the work. ‘Reclining Pine’, or ‘Woodn’t’, or ‘Sapless’.  Or something else.  If it was a big hit, we could take it on the road.  Load the whole thing onto enormous flatbed trailers and move it to the Met or the Smithsonian or feature it in other ‘natural habitats’ like someone else’s back yard.

Or.

I hire some well-equipped, trained and experienced experts to dispatch the tree.  Burly men with plaid shirts and suspenders and full masculine beards.  They will swing double headed axes and enormous chainsaws and pikes and other instruments that are manly and loud and are an actuary’s nightmare. 

They would drive huge trucks across our yard, possibly solving my mole problem, and probably creating permanent creases in our neatly ironed lawn.  There would be noise and wood chips and spitting and gnashing of teeth and rending of garments.  They would transform the dead pine into bite size pieces and haul the carcass away to some tree burning sect hiding in the woods up near Capac.

Or.

I could just write about it. 


Hope this finds you going with your strengths,

David


Copyright © 2018 David Smith



No comments:

Post a Comment