Monday, May 21, 2018

DNA Thread




May 21, 2018

Greetings from the thread,

It has been estimated that there have been 108 billion people living on our planet since our beginning, including those of us still here.  One hundred billion people, scattered around the globe, making the most of what life they were offered, and then passing it on and on until the most recent seven billion stepped in.

Among all of this enormity is a tiny thread, vibrant and tenacious and yet so small you might never know about it unless you met me.  I exist in this thread, and so do all of those related to me, both in history and in time to come.

Not long ago my daughter gave me a home DNA testing kit.  I was curious about it but I didn’t really understand how much I would know once I got the results.   I figured I knew enough about my ancestry that it would be interesting but probably not earth shattering. 

What has been fascinating is to see my thread stretch back into time, caroming around the globe.  Some of my line moved from Africa across Europe to flourish in Britain, and another through Asia to become our Native Americans where my grandparents twisted the two strands together.

I hadn’t considered my DNA would show where my Scottish family came from; that just a few hundred years ago my thread wove through Scandinavia, Spain, while on the other side of the globe the Chippewa were unknowingly charting the future for their share of the line.

My report tells me the history of my DNA for nearly 20,000 years.  Generation after generation, getting up, making coffee, getting the kids ready, going to get food, cleaning up, laughing, telling stories, making love, taking naps, mourning, hoping, starting over.  Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of children growing up and repeating the process and making their way across the world and through time until this morning.

I make coffee and read about them and wonder about their stories and feel a connection that is a little unsettling and encouraging at the same time.  There is a mystery and there is a literal kinship, that links us.  This tiny, vibrant, tenacious thread that has survived everything that the world throws at people since the beginning of time.

And here I learn that 23andMe knows of over 1000 people who share my thread.  If I want to connect with them, all I have to do is click a button.  I find this a little intimidating, for reasons I can’t quite voice I have resisted taking that step.  That will be for another morning.

I know this process may seem a little frivolous to some, but if you trust the science, and I do, it is fascinating to see what it has revealed.  I am interested in some of the details but for now I am content to see the beauty of the whole landscape.  The more I look at it, the more I see and the more amazed I am.

Earlier this week I got up to run and went outside to taste the temperature before I laced up.  The sky was clear, and the stars fought for attention in the arc above me.  I stood there long enough to get chilled and stared at the brilliant unknowable multitude of lights.  As with every other time, I am amazed at the number of them, and knowing some of their light is so old that it has been traveling for thousands and thousands of years to reach me.

When I stare at the cosmos I realize two things at once.  First the enormity of creation, and how insignificant I am.  And second, that among all of these stars, on this lone blue marble, cast among 107 billion other specks of sand, how significant I am.

Hope this finds you looking both ways,

David


Copyright © 2018 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment