April
23, 2018
Greetings from
The Big Swim,
Doubt.
At the six-mile
mark I was wondering how I was going to get to mile seven. My legs felt like cement. I began to imagine there was more wrong with me
than fatigue. This is not the level of confidence I was hoping for, twenty
miles from the finish of the Boston Marathon.
We expected the
weather would be challenging. And then
it was colder, the rain was harder, and we were leaning into a headwind that
gusted 20-30 mph for every step between Hopkinton and Boston.
Boston Style.
In true Boston
manner, the runners adapted. They pulled
on second hand clothes, layered on whatever they could scavenge to stay
warm. Runners wore shower caps. They wrapped their feet in plastic shopping
bags, duct taped sheets of plastic around their shoulders, swaddled up in
ponchos and raincoats and tailored garbage bags. They wore bright yellow rubber kitchen gloves
to keep their hands warm. The species
that survives is not the strongest or the fastest but the one that can adapt.
Before the
race began, we gathered at Athlete’s Village, a field behind a school in the
tiny town of Hopkinton. It was a mud bog
that seemed to be set up as a refugee camp.
Runners stood in the rain for hours, huddled under tarps or umbrellas, or
crowded in the food tent. When it was
time for my wave to head to the start, chaos had settled in. The officials, seeing that the crowds were
growing impatient, finally just gave in and everyone surged for the start.
Saturation.
The water
streamed across the roads, pooling in low places, splashing over the curb. And the rain pummeled us all. Shoes filled, shirts stretched into skirts,
socks squished, as we tried to absorb the weather. Once you are saturated, you can’t get any
wetter. But you can get colder.
The
temperatures stayed above freezing, a mixed blessing. Snow might have been easier to take.
I knew I was
under-dressed for the conditions, which is why my legs were numb at six miles. This was the outcome of four days of changing
my mind about what to wear. This heading
should have been “Follow your instincts.”
We’re all in
the same river.
Everyone
around me was wet and cold, and they were not yielding. They pushed each other, helped each other, made
the best of each mile in front of them. Our
cheerleaders lined both sides of the streets in the freezing rain and told us
how amazing we were. They handed us water
and hot chocolate, gave away their gloves, donated raincoats, so we could finish
what we started.
It is an irresistible
example to follow.
The Wellesly girls
were out in full scream, soaked sirens, urging us into the second half. They held wilted signs like, ‘Kiss me I’m Unemployed’.
Somewhere in
the teens I stood under someone’s umbrella for a moment while my numb, slippery
fingers fumbled to open a Gu packet. I
was shaking from the cold, and I watched the steam come off my arm. My body heat escaping, leaving me. The man holding the umbrella said: “You guys
are nuts.”
It can’t get
any worse.
It turns out
it can. We came to Heartbreak Hill, many
of us reduced to trudging at this point, grinding up the inclines. The rain had
never relented, driven by the wind, and now, as if it had been waiting for the
most challenging part of the course, it surged.
The rain punished us in torrents, huge chilling drops turning the rivers
on the road into stippled liquid. We could
not see the pavement in front of us. A
runner near me held her arms out and looked up and said to God: “Are you
KIDDING me?”
Trust your
training.
Somewhere after
21 a switch flipped. Something I had put
in back in February, pushing through blizzards, some toughness I had set aside
during hill repeats in gale force winds, resurfaced. I tucked in behind two other runners and we
began passing people, weaving through the bedraggled competitors splashing
ahead of us. I know that this strength
had been there for 20 miles. Note to
self: better to remember that at mile one.
Right on
Hereford, left on Boyleston.
This is the
last two turns before the Boston Marathon ends.
It is one block, a few hundred feet between what might have stopped you
and what you get because you didn’t let it.
Here the
runners redeemed their own Boston Style.
They shed the layers of plastic and hand-me- downs and sodden cotton
sweatshirts and Target bags. It looked
like a Goodwill donation box had exploded during a monsoon. Maybe they wanted to look good for the finish
line picture. Maybe it was just another
part of the transformation into Boston Finisher.
The finish
line will make you cry.
The broad
street stretches out for three tenths of a mile. It is lined with people on both sides, and the
sound is so loud you cannot believe it comes from them. Through the rain I could see the finish line,
blurred in the bathroom glass effect the rain provided. Emotion welled in me, closing my throat, and
I gasped to hold that back, desperate to run just a few blocks more.
Kindness.
I crossed the
blue and gold line and walked a few steps and turned around and welcomed the
runners behind me. We raised our hands,
and congratulated each other, and then turned in the downpour and went to find
our medal.
I asked a
volunteer: “Are you handing out the heat blankets?” She looked me in the eye and said: “I have
the honor of putting them on the runners.”
She helped me put my arms inside the blanket, put the hood over my head,
and folded me up inside it, sealing it over my chest.
Saturated and
overflowing.
The rain
spilled out of my eyes in warm streams down my cheeks. I took a few shaking steps and lowered my
head and added my few drops to the puddles on Boyleston Street.
Hope
this finds you dry and warm,
David
Copyright
© 2018 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment