Monday, January 15, 2018

Kids Write Code



January 15, 2018

Greetings from the corner I face,

There are a number of ways to glue tongue depressors together to create attractive décor. These include star shapes that could be hung on Christmas trees, or squares that might be coasters.  Some random shapes could be hung in windows with optional string.  Children aren’t just born with the skill to create these things, it has to be taught to them.  I’m proof of that.

On any given day I will be exposed to the word ‘algorithm’.  Like most things I don’t understand, I have chosen to accept it without question. (See ‘Electoral College’)  For example when I hear that Google uses complex algorithms to find the answers to obscure Laurel and Hardy questions, I shrug my shoulders and say “I knew it was ‘Way Out West’”.  Algorithms and all the computer code that creates them, are the stuff of magic beyond my ken.  I am perfectly comfortable with not knowing everything about everything. 

Until yesterday when I met a couple who told me that the elementary school their children attend teaches students how to write code.  They introduce it with tablets in kindergarten and are actively writing programs in first grade.

When I was in elementary school we learned how to get the top off the paste bottle so we could make things out of tongue depressors.  When we mastered that we moved on to cutting construction paper using dull scissors with rounded ends designed to inspire perseverance by placing our tongue in the exact right place in the corner of our mouth.

I will admit that in elementary school I also learned to read and write and control my bladder in social situations, at least well enough to be promoted through the ranks.  When it came time to go to Junior High, I knew enough math to do division problems on the chalk board.  I memorized ‘times tables’.

Right now, five-year-old children are being introduced to writing computer code.  I don’t know if they have to memorize times tables.  Or learn penmanship.

I have tried to avoid becoming a cliché but eventually it is inevitable.  You don’t have to explain to me how to use the TV remote or open my flip phone.  I think I know my way around technology, and I can manage any software I’m shown.  I just have no idea how any of that works. 

I can see a time when I will be tasked with watching my grandchildren: “Dad, don’t forget to change little Damien’s diaper, and don’t let him hack North Korea’s grid again.”

I should see this as a challenge, and I should take steps to learn programming, keep up with the first graders that one day will mock me in awkward conversations about ‘bubble sorting’ or the advantages of Java, which it turns out is not coffee.  I could apply my significant potential brainpower to learning complicated computer language so I can one day write a command that will keep my screen saver from freezing my laptop.

Or I could go with my strengths.  The fact is, one day tongue depressor creations will be a lost art.  I have a distinct advantage over kindergartners in this realm.  First, I have money, a car, and I can go to the store by myself.  And if I want to go to Hobby Lobby to buy tongue depressors, I don’t have to get permission to cross the street.

Someone will have to show me how this new-fangled chip enabled credit card works.

Hope this finds you creating,

David



Copyright © 2018 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment