January
1, 2018
Greetings from
where I smile,
Happy New Year. For the next week or so we will exchange this
wish with the people we meet, for many it will be as innocuous as ‘have a nice
day’. I want to wish you a Happy New
year with something more behind it.
I’ve read a
lot about happiness and given it a lot of thought. I don’t have a secret formula, but the common
themes I’ve learned about and witnessed seem to center on: Close relationships, meaningful work, the opportunity
for growth, purpose beyond ourselves, a connection with nature, an active physical
lifestyle. There are a host of daily ‘habits’
that support these kinds of directions, and there are deeper, more philosophical
paths that will put down roots that sprout happiness.
It’s more than
just this. Being happy is not just the giddy
feeling you get from seeing your best friend, or playing with a puppy. It is also more than merely being content. Happiness is the result of intention, and
understanding of what brings you this elusive thing, and what you have to do to
get it.
It is rarely a
constant condition. To borrow from the
philosopher G. Sheehan, speaking of something similar: “Excellence is not something attained and put in a
trophy case. It is not sought after, achieved and, thereafter, a steady state.
It is a momentary phenomenon, a rare conjunction of body, mind, and spirit at
one's peak.”
There are many
things that will come to us that will make us feel happy. Friendships, love, sunrises, a really good
cup of coffee. But the majority of it is
up to us. Every day we have to earn it. It
is up to each person to identify what brings us happiness and what it takes to own
that.
Meeting new
people. Reading a great book. Time alone.
Learning something. Time with
family. Sharing. Telling a story. Writing.
Running.
Yesterday I
was getting ready to go for a run. I was
spending a LOT of time getting ready. This
was due to the fact that it was 8 below zero outside. I was collecting all the running clothes I
owned before I braved the cold. But
really what I was doing was avoiding it.
I was dreading twelve miles bundled up with all this weight. Muttering about my hamstring and my shoes and
the wind and how tired I was. Eventually
I said these words out loud:
‘What you want
is not coming to you in your kitchen. Quit
thinking about it and go get it.’
It was zero
degrees. None degrees. It was so cold we stopped assigning a number
we could think of and made up a negative number. The air was trying to get at me and change me
from 98.6 to zero. I felt it slip in
between smallest places and stab at me, some alien force intent my destruction.
I ran in the
dark, the moon had already given up it was so cold, and ran off to the west
coast. From under my balaclava I watched
the ice form around my eyes. I trudged
over snow and ice, my Yaktrax squeaking on the frozen ground, little complaints
from each step. Twelve miles, raking in
frigid air, squeezing oxygen out of it and puffing out clouds of white, pushing
each stiff muscle to do something it would rather not.
Eventually the
muscles warmed, and the body did what it is meant to do. The miles eroded behind me, time passed as it
always does. I finished running into a
rosy grey sunrise, and turned down my street, alive and awake and
ravenous. The feeling that came to me then
was more than endorphins. It was more
than relief from the end of struggle.
When I came
back in the house I was happy. I knew it
too. One of my favorite lines from the
movie ‘Pursuit of Happyness’ underscores the uniqueness of this moment, when
Chris Gardner pushed past unbelievable odds and earned the job he desperately
needed. Tears in his eyes, walking among
a sea of strangers, clapping to himself; “This
part of my life, this part right here? This is called 'happiness'.”
This might not
be what you wanted to read this morning, so maybe you should set this aside
until you are ready. But understand this,
I am wishing you a Happy New Year, and it comes with a cost.
We need to be
open to what happiness is brought to us.
The people who love us, the moments that are shaped for us by nature or
authors or baristas. We need to be aware
that when we share ourselves, give our gifts, that in that moment we are also
presented with that same joy, if we only keep our heart open to know it. A thousand moments in every day if we foster
the awareness for them, and therein awaits our greatest potential.
And we need to
know that whatever happiness we forge in any day, it is up to us. On some days it will only be there if we
create it. Make the challenges an
adventure, shake off the setbacks, choose to look toward what will make you
smile. In every day construct the
potential for your happiness and it watch how it will fill your life.
Happy New Year.
Hope
this finds you smiling back,
David
Copyright
© 2018 David Smith
Love your thoughts David-you are so articulate, yet concise; thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!!
ReplyDelete