September
4, 2017
Greetings from
where I remark,
The sun hinted
at a dramatic morning, slowly lighting the shape of the Wasatch mountain range.
The city is
clean, the streets are lighted and well laid out in grids. It has dedicated bicycle lanes. It invited me to run through it and explore.
I had already sectioned
the downtown area near my hotel and run with a group through Salt Lake
City. Skirting the walled compound of
the Morman’s Temple Square, weaving through the canyons formed by tall
buildings, out into the neighborhoods. I
knew most of the area within a day.
The second
morning I ran to a small park I saw on the map, somewhere I could run without
thinking about the few cars that were on the road in the predawn hour. A block square, this patch of green holding
in mature trees and low shrubs, pretending the city of glass and concrete wasn’t
there.
The first time
around the perimeter I saw a young man sitting on a bench. “Good morning.” I said, giving a wave I
incorporate into my natural cadence. He
said nothing. I ran along the edge of
the rectangle, and in the dim light I could see people sleeping in the
grass. I counted a dozen.
They were
wrapped in sheets and blankets, the ends twisted over their heads. Wound like human tortillas in the grass.
I had crossed
paths with the street people during the day. Homeless people with roller bags. With grocery carts. With baby strollers. Carrying whatever they had in plastic
shopping bags or cardboard boxes.
Someone said
to me at dinner the night before: “I guess the homeless are becoming a problem.” I know what he meant; some were becoming more
aggressive in panhandling, some showing up in groups near the convention
center, or where tourists would be found.
I know what he meant; but he said more than he meant.
None of this
is remarkable. Every city, any
collection of people of any size in our civilization has a similar
tableau. People end up living on the
street at the end of a many long stories.
The story with drug addiction, the one with mental illness, the one with
abuse and numbing poverty. The one that
has all of those chapters.
On the second
time around I said good morning to the man at the bench and this time he looked
up. Said nothing. My eyes we adjusted to the dark under the
trees and now on this time around I counted two dozen bodies nested in the
park. Tucked against a transformer,
under a shrub, at the base of a tree.
There is
nothing remarkable about homeless people scrabbling to survive a block away
from incredible wealth. It happens. We know about the reasons, we know about the
myriad of choices and consequences and accidents and injustices and just bad
luck. It is not always fair, it is not
always a question of fair.
The third time
around I said good morning to the man at the bench and he said “Morning.” Now I could see he had a bundle of clothes he
had been using for a blanket. He leaned
on his knees and rested his head in his hands.
I cut into the park on a sidewalk that split through the middle. I ran past more than fifty people sleeping in
the grass. Fifty.
I rarely feel
fear running through strange cities, even in the dark. There is not much to gain from bothering
someone like me, and frankly there are not many people who could catch me if
they wanted to. But for a fraction of a
second I felt unnerved. This image of
four dozen walking wounded rising up from the grass and surrounding me flashed
in whatever part of my brain that says I should be afraid.
The moment
passed, but it left me with the question of how we would respond to being asked
for spare change if it was a group of fifty that was asking.
I came to the
other side of the park and stopped at a corner and watched. Some of the people sleeping on the ground had
moved to the playground and were taking seats on the swings. Some kind of morning meeting, in an almost
comical setting. Several men, a few
women, their blankets draped over their shoulders, gently swaying on the
swings, a few leaning against the poles.
Starting their day. Not strategizing,
not organizing. Not rising up against
the powers that ignore them. Just
getting through the morning so they can get through the rest of the day.
I said good
morning and a few looked at me and responded.
It was a strangely intimate moment.
I had forgotten about judging anyone, guessing if they drank too much or
didn’t believe in God or stole something from a widow to buy crack. I forgot that I was a capitalist and that
they might be casualties of the free market system. I didn’t wonder what political party put them
where they were, or kept them there. The
thing we had in common was the empty park and our empty pockets.
In the city
near me there are homeless people. There is nothing remarkable about that. They have no power, no voice, no leverage. They are not organizing, not hiring
lobbyists, not marching in protest, not testifying before congress. They have enough problems to occupy their day
just surviving. Finding food, getting a place
to sleep, eking out an existence that is one cold night away from no existence.
What is
remarkable is that it is not remarkable.
Hope
this finds you giving them a hand,
David
Copyright
© 2017 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment