Greetings
from lane 3,
I
am not a bowler, in the literal sense, although I have bowln, or bowled. Whichever. However
in this circumstance I determined that it was better to have bowled than to be
bowling. I was in a fog brought about by
antihistamines, which according to the package suggests I do not operate heavy
machinery. A bowling ball doesn’t
qualify as machinery but it is heavy so I didn’t want to take chances.
We
were in a bowling alley, and upon entering I knew I was in a foreign
environment. I lacked the ability to smell,
thanks to my cold, but I could tell there was something in the air attempting
to penetrate my senses. One of my progeny
said it smelled like someone’s attic.
Perhaps an attic where old bowling shoes had been stored for several
decades.
We
had been gathered with a few dozen other souls to salute the passing of my
father in law. It was not a solemn
occasion; I did say it was in a bowling alley.
We had taken time in the afternoon to properly acknowledge his life and his
passing. There had been a time of
mourning, and now there was a time of celebration. In fact the day had progressed in a beautiful
arc, and now surrounded by the sound of recalled memories and laughter, it
seemed Don was honored in a fitting manner.
I’m
not certain what the momentum of the evening might have produced but before it
could fully manifest itself someone (one of my progeny) pointed out that the
potential of several bowling lanes were being squandered. Not certain of the propriety of bowling at a
wake, I encouraged in others the needed curiosity to propel action so that I
might avoid blame later.
We
addressed the question to the woman who more or less was overseeing the evening’s
event, whose name, ironically, was not Marge or Madge. If I were writing a story about this
situation it would have been, however this was real life and so her name was
Judy. She immediately supplied us with
shoes and the requisite bowling instructions which was mainly: “Do not take
food and drink into the settee area.”
It
was interesting to see the unlikely stances each bowler performed in the attempt
to propel the ball toward the pins. Some
of the players took on the shapes of various capital letters. Others collapsed onto the wood floor,
apparently having expended their last bit of physical energy in the delivery
effort.
I
watched as others hurled the ball in various degrees of contortion, some ultimately
scattering pins, other times merely winging one of their numbers, and vaguely
irritating the rest. It seemed that
form, power, spin, or loft had little to no effect on the outcome. I daresay antihistamines would have had
little effect either, but I resisted the temptation to humiliate myself further
than what is normal.
And
so I encouraged success from the sidelines, just behind the sign that said ‘No
food or drinks in the settee area’ and thought about the last time I used the
word ‘settee’. Occasionally Judy, who I
was told may have been a former Cirque de Soleil artist, would pass through to
pound on the side of the Brunswick 2000, which somehow kept score of the
proceedings.
It
was in this circumstance I found myself watching my children, who are all
adults so in the literal sense are not children, but perhaps better referred to
as progeny, which has ever so much more of a regal sound. Just for reference, the thought of regal
progeny, much less the use of those two distinct words, I am 100% certain has
never occurred in this bowling alley.
What
caught my attention was the shoes my daughter was wearing. If you have bowln, (or bowled) than you know
you are required to wear a certain type of shoe, and lacking ownership of such,
you must rent a pair. These shoes, assiduously
lacquered with anti-fungal spray, were used by strangers generation after
generation until handed over finally to my progeny. For the uninitiated, in order assure that the
tenants of the rental shoes don’t abscond with them, they each have giant numbers
on the heel, like prisoner’s uniforms.
That’s in case the idea of taking home someone else’s athlete’s foot was
not enough of a deterrent to prevent you from stealing an uncomfortable fashion
mistake.
I
was looking at my daughter’s rental shoes and remembering something a few hours
earlier.
My
daughter was about to go for a run between activities, and discovered she was
missing one shoe. It seemed the only way
she was going to go was to borrow a shoe from her brother, which for a runner is
not unlike asking to borrow your sibling’s retainer.
It
was during this musing that it occurred to me that I might know where the other
running shoe was.
Maybe
it is not statistically likely to lodge a bowling ball in the gutter of a lane,
but those odds did not prevent it from happening. The response of the players was to launch
another ball down into the gutter to free the first. Ironically this was one of the few times when
a player actually failed to get the ball to go into the trough.
This
is when Judy sprang into action. That could
be a little misleading. Judy’s springing
days might have last occurred during the Eisenhower administration. Judy would tightrope down the gutter, free the
ball, and return to applause. To her credit, Judy was unflappable. If anything happened in the chaos that was
exploding in the alleys we opened that she had not seen before, she gave no
sign of it.
What
had occurred to me as we waited for Judy was that on the four hour drive north
we stopped to use the bathroom at McDonald’s.
I’ll digress here to say that while none of us would actually EAT at
McDonald’s, for gastronomic, political, ethical, or philosophic reasons, none
of us actually object to using their toilets, which for the most part are
cleaner than other fast food chains that we won’t eat in.
I
had opened the back of the van to dig out the package of antihistamines to deal
with my cold symptoms and several other pieces of luggage fell from the
van. Including the vegan-approved recyclable non-GMO fiber cloth bag that my
daughter carried her running shoes in.
I
remembered putting the bag back into the pile of luggage and closing the van,
but I really didn’t look close where it had fallen. Was it possible that one of her shoes had
fallen out?
I
felt like I should mention this to my daughter.
The longer I thought about it the more awkward it would be to finally
mention it. I finally decided to say
nothing and wait to see if the shoe turned up on its own. Or didn’t.
At which time I would either be relieved or I wouldn’t.
The
bowling games went on for hours. No one
had told us when to know when it was over, and unless Judy had intervened we
might still be there trying to figure out who was the victor. The evening unfolded further and there were
my brothers in law and a nephew performing live music in the bar next door,
which was another turn of events that I would not have predicted.
Earlier
in the afternoon we wandered across a golf course Don spent many hours
enjoying. We stood in the soggy grass and
spread my father in law’s ashes where we think he would have chosen: in the
sand trap. There at the edge of a
beautiful lake that begged for us to stay longer, we said our goodbyes to him
and wished him well on whatever journey he took until we meet again.
The
next morning I was smiling as I sipped my coffee, still fuzzed by
antihistamines. I don’t know what my
father in law Don would have planned for the day if he had been given the
chance. But what took place was what his
progeny does well; they celebrated.
There was food and drink and prayer and singing. There was a lot of
laughter, and the exchange of memories and the presence of friends. There was bowling.
We
said our goodbyes and started on our separate ways, all feeling just a little
closer even in our distant locations. Later
in the day my daughter reported she had found her missing shoe, so I was spared
the decision whether to confess. And you
were spared my use of the phrase ‘waiting for the other shoe to drop’.
Hope
this finds you rolling a strike,
David
Copyright
© 2016 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment