November
28, 2016
Greetings
from the edge of town,
Recently
I met a woman at a party and in the course of getting to know each other she told
me where she lived. I was wistfully
envious of her, a term I use whenever envying something I have no real
knowledge of. I usually save this level
of envy for automobiles that have a heater and a tape player that works.
In
this example, the town the woman mentioned is reputed to be a charming village
setting with interesting shops and a quaint main street all nestled in a
bucolic setting. Good schools connected
by well-maintained streets to beautiful neighborhoods lined with homes of such
quality one would never find them in one’s own town.
The
woman continued; “But I’d rather live in Chicago. It’s my favorite place in the world.” This intrigued me so I asked what it was
about the city she admired so much that she would trade it for the pastoral paradise
in which she lived. While she was
responding I wandered off in my mind to see how I would fill in the answer
myself. And that made me think of Aesop.
I
will pause here to say that usually when I ask a question I pay attention to
the person answering with such dedicated focus one might think I had been
hypnotized. I only mention this in case
there is ever a conversation in which I am involved with you where you think I
am not listening, but I am.
Honestly. I heard everything you
said.
In
Aesop’s fable ‘The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse’, which I have read in the
original Greek, we learn that sometimes one environment, however wistfully
envied, is often good for one mouse but perhaps not for the other. In the interest of full disclosure I should
explain that I don’t actually understand Greek, original or otherwise, and in
spite of the mandate of cheap humor to which I am bound, I will not use the
phrase ‘It’s all Greek to me.’ But I will justify my earlier statement by
saying that I have read the words but did not understand their meaning until much
later when I read them in English, which may not be original.
I
like Chicago. When I was wondering if I
would like living there I envisioned the hustle and then the requisite bustle. Good pizza.
Night life. Interesting architecture.
Lots of museums and parks. Access
to good coffee. I remembered getting a
cupcake at a place called ‘Sprinkles’.
And armed with that deep research I could imagine living there.
I
have spent time in most big cities in our country. Explored their nooks and crannies, run their
streets, found where the locals eat. I
think I have some feel for what it might be like to live in a metropolis. The noise of traffic. The crush of people in elevators, in line for
bagels, in subways, in the apartment above you, taking your parking place. The high cost of food, of apartments, of
coffee. And the beauty of diversity, the
interesting music, the towering skylines, the townhouses and lofts and
cobblestone streets. The corner bistro,
the sidewalk café, the secret green spaces, wedges of nature among concrete.
And
I have spent time in small towns of all sizes; the spectrum from stop sign intersections
surrounded by miles of corn to train towns to bedroom communities braced
against the burgeoning metropolis they serve.
Logging towns turned into respites for big city parolees, or planned
rows of little boxes on the hillside and they all look the same.
And
in all the places in between where there are only neighbors who see each other
at the general store or the co-op. The little
scraps of people in secluded mountain towns where the only sign of humanity is
the smell of wood smoke or a sign that has the local population written in
chalk.
I
have been in these places on a visitor’s visa, and I know it’s not the same as
living there. But I have an imagination
and I can sense what it’s like to be a resident of Enid or Austin or La Jolla
or Seattle. I know I could live there;
it’s easy to know since I am not saddled with the burden of familiarity, and I
am inspired by my wistful enviousness. I
could love New York City, I could leave my heart in San Francisco. I could live off the grid. I could live over a bakery.
I love meeting the people in the places I pass
through, and among that great and varied throng there is always a subset that
willingly shares with me that they would rather be living somewhere else. Thankfully we don’t all get our wish in this
regard or else we would all be somewhere else and strangers would slowly be getting
bored with where we were from.
The
woman who would rather live in Chicago had a ready list of what made it her
kind of town. Chief among its
attractions was this: ‘My sister lives there.’
See, I was listening.
Ironically
the town I live in is so much like her little town I was so wistfully envious
of that you might think that I described it that way on purpose to carry the
irony further. I did, but it’s still
true.
Big
city, small town, condo in the mountains, one room third-floor-walk-up in
Harlem, drafty farmhouse in the dustbowl, damp brick shotgun bungalow by the
levy. Each comes with an experience and
a price. Occasionally it is sensible to
look at that price and make sure it is worth our paying it. Sometimes the reasons to stay or move are
sensible and well thought out and sometimes it’s your sister.
Go
where you will, but remember; wherever you go, there you are.
Hope
this finds you at home,
David

No comments:
Post a Comment