March
7, 2016
Greetings
from the first scene,
FADE
IN:
INTERIOR.
DARK BEDROOM
Close
up of digital clock on the nightstand shows 4:30. Light from window (snowy exterior) casts pale
grey on sleeping figure. Blankets are
thrown back and legs appear on the edge of the bed. MAN sits up, runs his hands over his face and
fumbles for glasses at night stand.
(SOUND
OF KNEES POPPING AS MAN STANDS UP)
CUT
TO KITCHEN.
MAN stands at the counter pouring coffee beans
into grinder. He is wearing tattered
flannel pajama pants and a wrinkled t-shirt.
GRINDER:
(loud-sarcastically) I bet you wish you had bought grounds instead of beans. Or
at least ground the beans in advance. Am
I right? Well?
MAN:
Could you be a little quieter, please.
It’s still practically night.
GRINDER:
Sure, shoot the messenger. You know this
is what I sound like, I’m like this every morning, so now you want to blame me? You’re the one who wants coffee.
MAN
says nothing and scoops the coffee into the filter. Pours water into COFFEE POT.
COFFEE
POT: (whispering) Morning. You look tired.
MAN:
You say the same thing every morning. Are you showing concern or trying to make
me feel old?
COFFEE
POT: (sighing softly) Why don’t you go wash out your mug while I finish here? Otherwise you’ll get annoyed waiting the two
minutes it takes for me to make the coffee.
MAN
removes mug from sink and runs hot water, scrubs the mug and dries it and sets
it on the counter next to the coffee pot.
On the side of the mug is printed three words; ‘Life is Good’.
COFFEE
POT: Coffee is done. If I do say so
myself, it smells fabulous.
REFRIGERATOR:
Just want to remind you that I am fifteen years old. Not sure how much longer I’ll
last. By the way you’re out of butter.
MAN:
(reaching into REFRIGERATOR for cream) Why do you bring this up? I know you are old, really, do we have to
discuss this now? I’m not awake yet.
WALL
OVEN: You think he’s got problems, I am on my last legs here. And I am really
expensive.
FURNACE:
(OFFSCREEN) Remember how much money I cost?
COFFEE
POT: Don’t pay any attention to them.
Just pour your coffee.
COLLEGE
TUITION: (OFFSCREEN) I know I have been talking to you all night about this but
I hope you have made plans for next semester. Last time we talked you seemed
clueless.
MAN
pours coffee into mug, stirs in a few drops of cream.
REFRIGERATOR:
I don’t know why I bother to keep cream at all, you hardly use enough to
matter. Every day I work so hard to keep
things cool and no one appreciates it. I
am really ready to give up.
MAN
glances at refrigerator but does not respond.
He lifts the coffee to his lips and takes the first taste. He breathes in the aroma, and smiles.
(SOUND
OF ANGELS SINGING)
CUT
TO: DEN
Small
desk set against window lined walls. A single lamp lights the room from the
desk. A laptop and some papers sit in
the yellow circle of light. It is dark outside so the reflection of the lamp is
on the windows.
MAN
walks in holding coffee, sits down at the desk.
(SOUND
OF KNEES POPPING AS MAN SITS DOWN)
LAPTOP:
I thought you were going to write last night.
You never learn. I mean, no
pressure, but you don’t have a lot of time.
What were you doing? Watching the
debate?
MAN:
(sighing) Really? I just sat down. Can you give me a minute?
LAPTOP:
I’m not sure if you heard me last night while you were trying to sleep, but I
had all of these really great ideas.
MAN:
I heard you. But, (sipping coffee) I don’t exactly remember what we talked
about.
RUNNING
WATCH (FROM DESK) Are you going running this morning? You didn’t get a lot of miles in last week.
KNEES:
Get off his back. He’s not getting any
younger
RUNNING
WATCH: Look, I don’t care how old he is.
He committed to me to a certain number of miles and I’m not seeing it. But, if he doesn’t think it’s worth it…
LAPTOP:
No pressure here but if you are going to write anything this morning you better
get started.
MAN:
Can I at least finish my cup of coffee?
I mean, seriously, you have been pestering me all night and I just need
a minute to wake up.
COFFEE
POT: (OFFSCREEN) Just ignore them. If
you want another cup I’ll keep it warm for you. Really, you should think about getting to bed
earlier.
LAPTOP:
I can’t believe you don’t remember what we talked about last night. Remember that great idea that you thought was
hilarious? Pulitzer Prize and all that?
MAN
sets coffee mug on desk and rests hands on the laptop. He licks his lips.
LAPTOP:
All right, here we go.
EXTERIOR:
View through window of den: MAN sitting at desk motionless. (SOUND OF SINGLE BIRD CHIRPING. SOUND OF WATER DRIPPING OFF EVES)
INTERIOR:
DEN. MAN sits with hands on laptop. Screen
is blank. He is staring at the keyboard.
LAPTOP:
Don’t you ordinarily press the keys to make words on the screen? Isn’t that how the writing activity goes?
MAN:
(through gritted teeth) I’m thinking.
STOMACH:
Hungry. And a little annoyed.
MAX
(small white dog) walks into den and looks expectantly at MAN.
LAPTOP:
Come on, we have a lot to do. This can’t
be that hard. Just start.
MAX:
I have to go out. I don’t care what you
are doing. Stop it now.
STOMACH:
If you’re getting up to let him out, could you get a banana?
MAN:
(to LAPTOP) I have to take care of this.
LAPTOP
(exasperated) Fine! I thought this was
important, but go ahead. No pressure.
MAX:
Why are you still sitting? Let me out or
I will pee on this rug.
RUG:
Please let him out.
KNEES:
If you are going to keep running you have to stretch more. You could do it now.
(MAN
stands up and exits with MAX. Den is
empty and quiet except for FURNACE whispering something about utility costs and
changing the filter)
MAN
returns and sits down again.
MAN:
Ok, where were we? (Rests hands on
keyboard)
STOMACH:
Not getting the banana evidently. (GRUMBLING) Might want to rethink coffee.
COFFEE
POT: (OFFSCREEN) Leave him alone. It’s
one of his few pleasures.
LAPTOP:
It’s not that hard. Just push any key to
get started. You can do it.
MAX:
(OFFSCREEN) I want to come back in right now.
Stop what you are doing.
MAN:
(to LAPTOP) Come on. Give me a
clue. What was it I said that was so
funny?
MAX:
(OFFSCREEN) I am going to wake the
neighbors now and see if they will come let me in. And there are deer out here. And I want to come in.
RUNNING
WATCH: (FROM DESK) Wow, look at the time.
If you’re going to fit in a run you better get moving.
PILE
OF MAIL ON DESK: Looks like your cellphone bill is due. And your car is being recalled. And you should read this magazine you ordered
about writing. It’s been here for a
month. Maybe if you’re not interested in
writing you should cancel your subscription.
LAPTOP:
He is interested in writing. He just
needs to get started. Press a key!
MAN:
Maybe another cup of coffee will help.
LAPTOP:
NO!
STOMACH:
NO!
COFFEE
POT: (OFFSCREEN) Great idea. You deserve
it.
MAN
STANDS AND EXITS DEN (SOUNDS OF KNEES POPPING)
CLOSE
UP OF LAPTOP- SCREEN SAVER COMES ON
RUNNING
WATCH: (FROM DESK) Is he coming back?
(FADE
TO BLACK)
Hope
this finds you directing,
David
Copyright
© 2016 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment