December 22, 2014
Greetings from my colors,
Coincidences are strands of serendipity woven together, that
create a moment you would not predict or expect, or connect things that might
otherwise be missed. Where they come from
varies. Why they happen is something
else.
There is a shelf in the top of my closet, one of those
places where old sweaters go to retire, along with sailor hats and bachelor
gloves and other bits that have no place else to belong. I rarely have any reason to reach that high except
to relegate another remnant from my life that I can’t decide what to do with.
Last week I got into a conversation with a friend about my
Dad’s kilt. I had to think about what it
looked like, but of course it is woven from our family colors, the Smith
Tartan. It is not a subject that comes
up very often. There are no Scots in my
daily life that might suggest it. The
subject then floated off into the fringe of my conscious waiting for
inspiration.
And yesterday morning, looking for something else, I reached
up into the purgatory shelf in my closet and my family tartan fell on me.
Several years ago on a trip through Scotland, I thought
about buying a kilt, and the price changed my mind. I settled for a wool scarf in my family
tartan, a nice memento of my visit to my Dad’s homeland. I put it away, never wore it, and hadn’t
thought about it until yesterday when it landed on my head.
And then last night, my three sons added their weft to the
fabric. We stood in the kitchen talking
about random things, each contributing something until we created a coincidence.
And Carson, in his best Scottish brogue came out with “Too
rich for a poor Scotsman.” Which led Sawyer to ask if my Dad talked much about
Scotland, and someone else asked if he spoke Gaelic. And then someone asked about family
tartans. And then I felt something click
in the fringe of my conscious.
I came downstairs with the wool scarf from Edinburgh.
Sawyer asked: “Is that where you got our colors?” I had to focus for a minute to think what he
meant, but then I knew. When the boys
were born we gave them colors to keep track of them, to know who had been fed
or changed. As they grew older they
colors stayed with them to organize belongings, avoid turf wars. Harrison Green. Carson Blue.
Sawyer Red.
They are primary colors, it’s not like we had a million to
choose from. But suddenly the colors in
the tartan popped out; Red blue and green.
It is a scrap of wool fabric, woven in five colors. For hundreds of years it has represented a
clan in Scotland; a family, a society. For a time, it was an icon that inspired
passions that surpassed brotherhood, bonded thousands together in fealty that
lasted generations. It has not been
relevant in my life, but just holding the tartan that my Dad claimed, and his
father before him, I felt a connection that passed through me to the generation
that stood in my kitchen.
It seems archaic, and maybe a little romantic, but this is
my clan. These are our colors.
I have no way of knowing if I have anything in common with
other Smiths from Scotland, or if they would make good neighbors, or if I would
trust them to water the plants while I was out of town or call them for a ride
to the airport. I am not naïve enough to
think that just coming from the same hills on an island in the Atlantic means
we are going to have a meaningful relationship.
But there is something there, a link to something larger
than me. It is something to belong to,
which we all seek at different times. It
is our tribe, our people, our kin, our history, where we come from. What makes it important to me is that
Katherine, Carson, Harrison and Sawyer now will look back at this lineage,
woven into green and blue and black and gold and red, and see themselves in it
too. They are better for it, and so are
all of us in the clan.
I don’t dwell on coincidences. They happen.
The why behind them will
remain a mystery, at least in this existence.
I am grateful for this scrap of serendipity because for a window of time
it brought my Dad into the room with my children, held there by a piece of
woven wool, and our memories of him.
That is why enough for me.
Hope this finds you with your clan,
David
Copyright © 2014 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment