March 31, 2014
Greetings from the Dupe,
Tomorrow is the first day of April, and carries with it a
unique burden. It is April Fool’s
day. It’s not exactly mandatory, not a
legal holiday, but nobody has had the guts to call it off.
April Fool has a heritage over a 1000 years old. The Romans, back when they were franchising
the world, created the festival of ‘Hilaria’.
(‘Hilaria’sounds so much more dignified.) Since then nearly every country in the world
has developed their own holiday devoted to practical jokes and pranks. The Scottish created ‘Hunt the Gowk Day.’ Not a really catchy phrase; Scots not being known
for their marketing skills, hence the strictly regional success of haggis and
bagpipes.
It occurs to me that somebody should eventually say: “All
right, all right, enough is enough.
Really. No more whoopee cushions.”
None of our political leaders will touch it. They would rather eviscerate Social Security
than mess with April Fool’s Day. There
is no social uprising to quell the tomfoolery and monkeyshines. No community organizers or neighborhood watch
groups to staunch the shenanigans.
I have had a few practical jokes played on me, but I am not
a fan. I think I must give off that crotchety
vibe, because lately no one has tried to surprise me with a hand buzzer or tape
a ‘kick me’ sign on my back.
I will admit to a weakness here. It really bothers me to be fooled. I will instantly lose my sense of humor, my
perspective. I become defensive, or worse, I retaliate.
At the heart of this flaw is ego. It is the unwillingness to
appear stupid, or weak. It is some
version of vanity that prevents us from being ‘taken advantage of’. Something inside me says this is a huge waste
of energy. Something tells me that when
you recognize that you are unable to laugh at your own expense, you might need
to lighten up.
Associated with this fear of being a fool, is a fear of
making a mistake and revealing that foolishness. For some people this means not taking risks
or putting themselves in a position of being potentially embarrassed. Unfortunately, that also limits new experiences
and growth. “A man learns to skate by staggering about and making a fool
of himself. Indeed he progresses in all things by resolutely making a fool of
himself.” George Bernard Shaw
“Every man is a
damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding
the limit.” Elbert Hubbard
There are probably really wise
people who have figured out a 12 step plan to embrace your Inner Fool, but my
guess is that is some practical joke in itself.
I have thought about it this morning, and the path to foolishness is
easy, and hard. It is simple to see the way;
the challenge is to allow ourselves the experience.
Samuel Butler
said: “The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you make a fool of yourself with
him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too.”
I looked at my
dog and decided this was not the direction for me. He is too formal and reserved, too
constrained to act foolish. He does not
like pranks either. It’s possible I
learned this from him.
A better place to begin is to
observe children. Yesterday I watched a
little boy try to answer a question that was way beyond his comprehension.
Smiling, he dove in with courage and complete lack of self-consciousness. He expected to get it right, or at least try,
and in his good nature, and his trusting innocence, he would allow himself to
miss perfection.
None of us like to be teased or
to have our faults ridiculed, but outside of that mean spirited realm there is
a healthy friction in having our foolishness revealed.
In the end, we
are all fools. The only thing that
prevents us from showing it to each other is conceit and self-importance. It is possible that April Fool’s Day serves a
purpose in reminding us of who we are, and gives us the chance to practice
dealing with it.
“Ah, well, I am a
great and sublime fool. But then I am God's fool, and all His works must be
contemplated with respect.” Mark Twain
Hope this finds you actin a fool,
David
Copyright © 2014 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment