January
31, 2022
Greetings
from the edge of the water,
A
few weeks ago, I heard a song that reminded me of another time, back when our
children were so small and helpless that there was not other choice but to
protect them. When the instinct to keep
them safe was never more than a breath away, so close to the surface it ruled
every moment.
I
remembered taking them to the pool so they could take swimming lessons, because
they had to learn to swim to be safe. I
watched them, with little to offer, except this urge to keep them from
drowning. If I could do nothing else,
then I wanted to be the buoyancy that would make that possible. I would be close enough to grab their hand.
I’ve
seen my kids get hurt, sometimes seriously, and it’s probably the same heart
wrenching pain all parents go through. When
they were broken, an arm, or their heart, when they were lost, when they were
afraid. Without anyone ever teaching
this connection to me, it is there, a principal part of my essence, placed there
when I was created, I think.
I
will confess I was not the parent I would wish for my children, but thankfully my
influence was softened by my wife’s. No
one comes to the job completely prepared, and that was never more obvious than
my experience.
When
my daughter was an infant, I trimmed her nails for the first time. I accidentally snipped a bit of her finger,
and tiny bead of blood appeared. She
looked at me, right into me, and for an eternity before her first cry, she
waited to see if I could explain this pain.
Just now, over three decades later, I feel the question, and the soul
piercing ache it left in me.
Our
children had the same bruises and setbacks that most kids do. But I knew then that these things would pass,
and that they would add up to be experiences that would protect them in their
future. When they were independent,
strong enough and smart enough to have a life of their own choices.
I’m
a terrible swimmer. I have no example to
give, no technique to teach. All I can offer
is this passion that says “I will lift you up.
I will make it possible for you to swim.
If you need my hand, grab hold and I’ll do anything I can to keep you
safe. But paddle, dammit.”
Ann
Lamott said: “We can't arrange peace or lasting improvement for those we love
most in the world. They have to find their own way, their own answers. You
can't run alongside your grown children with sun screen and chap stick on their
hero's journey. You have to release them. It's disrespectful not to.”
And
so, we release them. They move into
their own lives, making bigger and bigger steps completely independent of
parental direction, until one day they are capable and smart and resourceful
and self sufficient. They are shaping
their own days. It’s then that parents
are asked to do the hardest thing; nothing.
Even
then I watched and tried not to worry, tried to give their life over to
them. They check in with little things, and
fewer of those, until they are clearly on their own. Years go by and it simply becomes the norm
that they are independent of you. You
see them like a friend, perhaps. They are like any other adult you meet in the
world.
No,
not really. Not ever.
We do all
there is to do, to teach them, to share the lessons that seem to apply, to give
them the example that you hope will matter.
And it works, mostly, and they are ready for the world. Except they go to war. They get on planes. They go for a run on a lonely road. Or something else. Or something else that wasn’t even on the
list of things we worried about.
Last
week we saw a family we know come crashing into that reality. When the random chaos of the universe intersected
with a well-ordered plan. A son’s
routine eye exam led to terrifying news, and then brain surgery, and the agony of
waiting. And then the scrim was torn away,
that gauzy pretend barrier between the parent and the child, where they are all
grown up and we are content with their independence. And we all felt it, not just
because Jackson is my sons’ friend, but because we all share the terrible,
wonderful burden and privilege of being someone’s parent.
My
children know how to swim, some better than others, but they are all capable,
and not afraid of the water. I am proud
of them, each for their own lives, and I can see they are strong and self-reliant. But I know, and maybe they do, that for as
long as I am alive, I am never going to be too far to reach out and grab their
hand.
Hope
this finds you watching,
David
Copyright
© 2021 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment