December
27, 2021
Greetings
from one indeed,
It
is interesting to notice how friendships form.
Not all of them look the same, which is a helpful thing to remember when
you wonder where the next one will come from.
I
thought of this as I spoke to my friend Ron.
I hardly saw our friendship growing until it was all around us. I called him last week and told him I think
of him every time I drive to Ann Arbor, and we both chuckled at that. He told me something that he has said before,
a bookmark of our relationship, and it brought tears to my smiling eyes.
Several
times a year for several years, I drove Ron to his appointments at UM Hospital. It takes a little over an hour to drive, and
sometimes a whole lot over an hour. We
did it dozens and dozens of times. During
those drives, and in waiting rooms and exam rooms and changing rooms and labs
and clinics, we assembled a friendship.
When
we were in Ann Arbor Ron would tell me how much it had changed since he went to
University of Michigan, some six decades ago.
And yet he could remember the main landmarks, most of which still
exist. He told me the stories of the
places he worked, or this car he drove, or where he would go to get cheap food.
At
every appointment the staff would ask Ron to confirm his information and he
would say his name was Arthur Watts. This
would always cause me to look up, since we only knew him as Ron, but Arthur was
his given name, which seemed so much more dignified, nearly regal. Ron is a gentleman, and dignified, but he
will always be Ron to us.
Ron
is an excellent patient. He has a nearly
perfect memory for every bit of what is an extensive medical history. He participates in the interviews with the nurses
and assistants and doctors and specialists. He knows his weight and blood pressure, how much
water he drank yesterday, what his prescriptions are, to the milligram. He speaks precisely and answers questions with
remarkable clarity, a bright mind of nearly nine decades, which amazed nearly
every doctor who sat with him.
“Ron
is really smart.” my Mom used to tell us.
He knows biology and chemistry and other smart things because for years
he taught high school students the realities of science. In fact, I learned more science sitting in exam
rooms with Ron than I learned in my internment at Central High.
When
we drove to Ann Arbor Ron would tell me about fishing in this river or that
lake, or going to high school in this town or stories about his father or his
brother. He shared a generation of life
with me in samples of a few minutes at a time.
When I heard them the first time, and the third time, I didn’t always
give every word the respect it deserved.
But I learned the stories and soon it was similar to hearing a favorite
song on the radio.
I
sat in the exam rooms with Ron, helped him off with his clothes, and on with
the ridiculous gowns. I sat and listened,
looked at the institutional art, read the notices on the wall, waited, talked about
fishing and high school teachers and the Navy and my Mom and his grandchildren.
We waited together, which was something
we wove into our friendship.
The
official people would come in and ask how Arthur was doing and they would take
notice of me, and they would always ask: “And who is this?” After ten or twenty times, we stopped trying
to explain. Ron would just say: “This is
my son.” In time, we both simply accepted
it as the answer. When it was necessary for me to help, to answer, to be family,
I was his son. After a while, we simply created
that truth as easily as our friendship.
We
drove to doctor’s appointments and chemo and radiation and surgery and check
ups. We drove to pharmacies and to the barber shop. We drove to the hospital to visit my Mom, and
in time we drove to the funeral home to decide things there. We drove to the place we scattered her ashes. We drove to banks and the post office and lawyer’s
offices. I helped him into the car and
buckled his seat belt, and we stopped somewhere and I unbuckled him and helped
him out.
Ron
and I are from different histories, raised in different eras, we have different
views on the world, on how things should go.
If you put it all on paper, you might question the potential to create a
friendship. I don’t know the solution
well enough to share, except we didn’t try to fix each other where we were
different, and somehow the differences just became like an unusual seasoning in
some really good chili.
When
he married my Mom, that was our family intersection, our affinity. But in the years of driving and waiting and listening
and talking, we created a new bond, and there isn’t any better word to describe
it than friendship.
Ron
moved to Texas and began a new life. He
says the people who work where he lives take good care of him, and one of his
daughters is close by. I don’t think I’ll
ever drive him anywhere again. You can
fill in the blank that leaves in my life.
Friendships
are unique, it is almost impossible to describe them in one way. It’s as if two people were painting a picture
together; each is contributing something that makes the creation different from
any other combination of people. What I
have learned from Ron, along with a host of other lessons, is that creating
this gift is often done when your hands are busy doing something else. Driving,
for example.
Hope
this finds you missing your friend,
David
Copyright
© 2021 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment