October
18, 2021
Greetings
from the donut hole,
There
is a small donut shop in the city near where I work, it’s probably like one
near you. It is justbi g enough for
several small tables, a few booths, but the main stage is the long glass cases
filled with freshly baked donuts. Or if
you are feeling fancy, doughnuts.
This
one is Donna’s Donuts. It’s the nearly
the last of its kind, which has increased its charm, I think. The other places in town have been edged out
by the franchises, and maybe the vacillating interest in such sugary extravagances.
When
I was growing up, we went to Dawn Donuts, which like some people, grew up and
moved away. But when I was in my
formative years, a trip to Dawn Donuts was an unparalleled reward. Some mornings my Dad would come home with a
box of deliciousness, but the real special occasions were going with him to pick
the tastes we wanted.
When
I was in high school, I had a friend who worked at Supreme Doughnuts, and often,
when I was supposed to be in algebra class, I would slip away to have a chocolate-chocolate,
with a sweet cup of coffee. I would sit
at the small square Formica table, which always rocked, across the room from
the patrol cops who were always there, a little afraid they would ask me why I
wasn’t in school. Debbie would bring two
diner mugs of coffee in one hand, a plate of chocolate in the other, charging
me the same price as the idling law enforcement.
Price
aside, Supreme was only a substitute for Dawn Donuts, where, at the time, my
pastry loyalty resided. Of course, it
was more than the glaze or the filling. Dawn Donuts, with its bold baker sign
outlined in neon, and the outlandish kitschy-deco store front, was what I will
always think of as where we get donuts.
After ice skating, after church, on special Saturday mornings.
Nowadays, when I go to the donut shop, I notice
two kinds of people. First there are those
that behave as if they have never seen a donut before in their life. They stand in front of the displays, almost
paralyzed by the choices.
“What kind is that?”
“It’s a nutty.”
The woman behind the counter is poised with a square of waxed paper in
her hand.
“Mm. What’s in it?”
“Nuts.”
“Ok, one of those. How many is that now?”
A glance down, and back up, barely disguised contempt: “Three.”
“Ok…..ummm…..”
The other kind of people are those who swagger in
and almost without looking rattle off their order: “I’ll take a Bowtie, a ChocoCreamstick,
a Bearclaw, a coupla Bismarks, chocolate not vanilla, and gimme six of those Pumpkin
Streusel, and put those in a separate bag so I can eat em on the way home.” They know the exact amount to pay, and the
door has not swung closed before the first bite into the doughy deliciousness.
I fall
in neither camp. I am easy to please in
this environment, since I am not eating anything from the boxes I carry
out. “Eighteen donuts, please, mix them
up any way you want.”
I have
had my share of donuts in my history, and probably your share too, but evolution
has twisted that desire out of me somehow.
There have
been times I have arrived at Donna’s Donuts before 7:00 a.m. and there is a
line of people out into the parking lot.
Even with social distance considerations, this is a lot of people. In times past the place would be crowded with
men, always men, huddled around tables drinking coffee and talking about the
war or politics or sports. It is the
same with every place like it.
Behind
the counter are women, always women, in hairnets or hats, their clothes spattered
with powdered sugar or nuts or chocolate, as if they have been in some pastry
war. They weave back and forth behind
the counters, filling boxes and bags with various pastries, while others squeeze
between with trays of new doughnuts from the kitchen.
“Help who’s
next.” They call out, then “Hi Hon, what can I get you?”
The
regulars will pour their own coffee and sit back down at the tables, keeping up
the chatter about the gummint and health care and the Lions or crime or the
price of gas. There is a bulletin board
festooned with announcements about local events or lost cats, a few drawings
from kids who have visited, ancient letters of thanks for softball
sponsorships. It’s a place with a unique
feel, none of the packaged professionally merchandised essence at the Krispy Kreme
or Dunkin’.
I’ll admit
I like going to Donna’s, not because of, or in spite of, the quality of the
donuts, or the near-surly counter service, or the long wait in the parking lot
to get my dozen and a half. It’s because
it is the echo of that other era when this kind of place was the norm, not the
remnant exception.
Because
it reminds me of Dawn Donuts, and those special moments with my sisters and brother,
and whichever parent was the donut hero that day. It reminds me when making a choice between
flavors of donuts was the most important decision on my horizon. Just the smell of fresh donuts takes me back
to those moments, and it’s always worth the trip.
Hope
this finds you with a baker’s dozen,
David
Copyright
© 2021 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment