July
19, 2021
Greetings
from the insatiable,
I
rarely wake up simply because I am done sleeping. Usually there is something that prompts me,
often some stray thought that has marinated during the night, finally ready for
me to pay full attention to. Sometimes
it is mourning doves, or my pillow is too hot. This week I noticed that I woke
up because I was hungry.
I
don’t go to bed hungry, so I’m not sure what happens during the night that
creates this appetite. Perhaps I am a
lot more active in my dreams than I know.
That aside, yesterday I woke just before five, and idled in semi-sleep a
while looking out the window, and felt hunger.
And it was excellent.
I
enjoy being hungry. I don’t mean I torture
myself with it, or intentionally fast to feel it. I am simply noticing the natural ache that my
body creates that signals this need.
With some
exceptions, I eat to fuel my body’s work.
I am not analyzing calories and content closely as I should, but I am
aware of the needs of the machine, and I tend to that. It is one of life’s perfect delights; to
create the need for food and then experience the pleasure of satisfying an
appetite.
I’ve
come to think of hunger as a companion of sorts. I like feeling its presence, in the same way
I relish the ache of muscles I have worked.
To me, hunger is not the absence of something, but the presence of something.
I enjoy eating. I have some favorite foods, and I love being
with people I care about to share a meal.
I’ll admit some food I simply shovel in until I get tired and hope it’s the
right amount. But most things I eat I
enjoy, because of the flavors, but also because of the partnership it plays with
hunger.
I have been
lucky to have sampled all kinds of food from all over the world. But I am satisfied with the simplest fare
because I feel this connection between my body and the food it asks for. Some of the strongest images I have is from
when I travelled around the country on my bicycle, often patching together unusual
meals, trying to keep up with the outrageous calories I burned each day. Peanut butter and honey sandwiches, oatmeal,
Grape Nuts, an occasional egg.
I remember stirring
instant macaroni and cheese on my little grasshopper stove, scraping in a can
of tuna to add some flavor and protein.
It was not gourmet, but it was still some of the best eating I can
recall. It was one of those intimate
moments where I felt this visceral connection between the uncomplicated food
and the sharp hunger that seared me.
Hunger is a
reminder of our life, of being alive. It
has shades and intensities, it can affect our attitude, our choices, how we
spend time. But without digging into any
of that, I simply feel it for what it is: a signal as primal as breathing, one
that I have in common with every human that has ever existed. Even at its strongest, I love how it feels in
me.
I recognize that
as I send these words out there are still people who are not getting all the
food they need each day. They are truly hungry, and they don’t have the choice
to change it. I mean no disrespect to
them, or to any of the people who seek to solve that nearly impossible challenge.
I’m also very
aware of people in my life, now and in the past, who have lost their appetite. Such easy words to write, and yet for people
who are ill, or just worn down, and can’t enjoy this simple act, it is a tragic
collection of letters. For them food is
a burden, even as they know they need it to nourish them.
I know others
who have lost their interest in other appetites in their life. I’ve had my own chapters of this, so I can sense
it when I meet someone who has lost their desire for beauty or friendship or love
or adventure. Even as I write this, I am
aware of how I have dulled my own pangs, and I am learning better.
I’m grateful to
feel hunger, to know my body is acting as it should. I enjoy that edge, that ache, that tells me
that I am still alive, that I am running the machine the way it was intended. I also realize that I am privileged to be in
a place where whatever I choose to satisfy my hunger is as close as my next
thought.
It's so easy
to take any of this for granted. So, I
said to the man in the mirror: Slow down enough to feel the hunger, to choose
to ease it intentionally, enjoy the food and be grateful for the magic.
Hope
this finds you asking for seconds,
David
Copyright
© 2021 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment