November
9, 2020
Greetings
from this lens,
Last
year I read the book ‘Factfulness’ by Hans Rosling, and then told everyone I
know to read it. I gave copies to all of
my children. I was surprised by how much
it impacted me, more so today. The premise
of the book is a startling one: we are wrong about how we see the world; things
are better than we think. Rosling poses
ten questions about humanity’s circumstances to bright people all over the
world and in their responses, we can see a dramatic gap between perception and
the reality.
I
am reasonably intelligent, well read, widely traveled, and unabashedly
optimistic, and I answered the ten questions and failed. My assumptions about the world, based on what
I thought I knew, were largely wrong.
The facts, assimilated from WHO, USAID, the UN and the World Bank and
other pillars of objective, factual information, showed that the human
condition is improving, better than I knew.
More people are literate, live longer, are healthier, immunized against disease,
have pathway to greater economic stability, than the generations before. I won’t spoil it for you; go buy the book, or
find it at your library. If you lack
either of those resources, come have coffee with me and I’ll tell you all of
it.
In
the same light of these extraordinary positive revelations, there was something
else. In the back of the book Rosling
reveals five global risks that still concerned him. The first on his list was a global pandemic,
one that behaves EXACTLY as the one we are experiencing. The author, who passed away as the book was printed,
even as he wrote of his fear, also pointed out that the world is better
prepared for a pandemic than it was for the Spanish flu in 1918, when probably
50 million people died, and the average lifespan of humans dropped from 33 to
23. I’ll stop here and let you absorb
how far we have come since then.
We
have watched in this country as science has done very public lab experiments in
order to find a way to survival for the greatest number of people during this
pandemic. Some of the experiment has
been confusing, some of it wrong, some of it exactly right. Aside from some meddling, little of what has
been done by science to save our specie from disaster has been driven by ulterior
motives. And yet, somehow there are
people who doubt, suspect, who now ignore science and embrace myths. Worse, there has been a divide created among
us, just when unity is most important.
In
1989, Hans Rosling was in Zaire, doing research on an incurable paralytic
disease called konzo. One morning he stepped
outside his hut to find fifty people there, armed with machetes, whose
intention was to kill him. They were
convinced that he was taking their blood and selling it, or to make something
to hurt them. Thankfully he was rescued
by one woman in the village who already had seen her child saved by the measles
vaccine that she too once feared.
If
you are insulted by the comparison, I apologize, I know so far that people in
our country have not responded with machetes, but perhaps the danger is as
real. I recognize that a certain skepticism is healthy,
but only if it is informed by fact, not fear or fable or blind zeal.
After
the attacks on September 11, nearly twenty years ago, we faced a new challenge
as the government responded, trying to make air travel safe. In time, people grew weary of the security,
the lines, the screening. I remember a
woman saying “I’m sick of this, just let us on the plane. If it’s my time to go, that’s the way it is.”
Obviously, if it were ‘her time to go’ I
didn’t want to be on a plane with her, since I felt sure it wasn’t also my time
to go.
What’s
interesting is that I heard almost the identical quote from a couple people recently. “I want to live my life. If it’s my time to go…” My response is the same; it may not also be
my time to go. People are tired of
washing their hands and keeping their distance and wearing their mask. There are those who are past tired of it,
they feel victimized in some way for having to conform. There are others who have made this into an
issue of personal freedom, of pride, and connected it to politics or religion
to bolster their perspective. These are
the clanking machetes I worry about.
In my desk is a copy of Time magazine from December 2001. On the cover is the Person of the Year, America’s
Mayor, Rudy Giuliani. He was a hero of
sorts, certainly an icon in those terrifying times. In January
of 2002 I attended a meeting where Giuliani was the keynote speaker. He spoke about his in experience in New York
during the crisis, and a little bit about where we would go from there.
In the question and answer time, thinking of the muttering
in the TSA lines, I was able to ask him about the issue of national security
versus personal civil liberty. He said this:
“Let’s not confuse infringing civil liberty with inconvenience. There are laws that will protect the rights
of the people in this country, and there should be laws and actions that
protect our lives as well.”
It
is a different challenge before us, but the response and the responsibility have
to be the same: Don’t
succumb to the temptation to find how science failed, or compare today’s
methodologies to barbers doing bloodletting over a hundred years ago. If you look for a conspiracy, whether government
or big business or alien interference, you will find people to join you. Those same people who mobbed the small hut in
Zaire, who sought to kill the scientist who brought a cure.
We
need to behave together. It may be a
year before a vaccine can make a difference in our country and around the
world. The Covid fatigue you feel now
will likely get more burdensome before it’s over, but it is not fatal. Neither is it an assault on your freedom. In the context of human experience, it is an inconvenience.
The
human specie is nothing if not resilient.
We are built to adapt, to survive, equipped to continually improve our condition
on this planet. Our strengths, though, became
most effective when we behaved together.
From the first tribe that gathered, and then hunted, and then farmed,
and now built the rockets to outer space, we are better when we behave
together.
I urge you to look at the world with the Factfulness
lens. See the true hope that has been
created by our lives getting better over the last generations, in almost every
way. There are still challenges, still
people left behind, but we are gaining on them.
This will also be true of the crisis in front of us today. We will find a solution to the pandemic, and
in this time between now and then, we must trust each other, behave together,
create a time in history that will echo with the sounds of our unity, and not the
angry clashes of machetes.
“Hope
is a passion for what is possible.”
Soren Kierkegaard
Hope
this finds you behaving
David
Copyright
© 2020 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment