September
28, 2020
Greetings
from the congregant,
When I
was a couple years shy of twenty, traveling around the country, I woke up in
the middle of the night in a field in Wyoming surrounded by nothing but horizon. Above me was a sky overflowing with stars, densely
packed constellations, whorls and ribbons of living light. The earth was dark and the sky was alive with creation,
with brilliant mystery.
It was
not the first time or the last that I was treated to such sight, most of us
have had some similar experience, but on that night, it came with the indelible,
undeniable presence of the Creator. It
was a powerful moment, alive in overwhelming beauty. Even now, decades later, I feel a shiver, not
only of awe, but of synchrony.
I have
been in churches all my life, in various levels of engagement. I have been inspired there, been humbled,
been bored, found reasons to forgive, and to ask grace. I have had conversations with God, usually
somewhat formal, aligned with whatever was the order of worship. These are part of my faith life, but what I
want to share with you is a separate thing that matters to me.
Yesterday
I ran in the vestiges of summer, a warm sunny morning that started a little
late, but was the same model I have enjoyed these last months. I zigged my way through town, scattering errant
leaves here and there, joining the river on a path into the woods. Geese laughed overhead, not clear yet on their
direction, making wide circles over the forest.
I wasn’t
thinking about running, that was more instinctual, as was my direction. It was not a new route, I could find my way without
concentrating, and that can open things up for me.
I have
been in churches of all varieties and faiths, from modest adobe structures or
open air sheds, to the most magnificent structures built to honor God. The Basílica de la Sagrada Família in
Barcelona, the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence, Old South Church
in Boston, St. Louis Cathedral in New Orleans, our own St. Matthews where I
grew up. You don’t have to look them
all up, trust me this is an impressive church resume. The construction of many of these works of
art took generations to complete, it was rare that anyone alive for setting the
foundation would be there for the dedication.
Nothing I have to say takes anything away from these places, my
experiences there, their history, or their purpose.
I ran
along the river, aware now that some of the trees were already pulling on fall fashion. Crisp remnants were scattered on the ground,
walnuts plopped to the ground in dull thuds.
The trees creaked a melancholy song in the light breeze, as if they were
reluctant to see the sun in its new place, now just over the horizon.
Frank
Lloyd Wright said; “I believe in God, only I spell it ‘nature’.” There are some in my world who might frown at
this, cast pagan aspersions on the sentiment.
Whatever his intent was, I like having the words. I know that Wright’s work sought to bring man
and nature together in harmony, both God’s creations, but too often separated by
architecture, and by civilized thinking.
I left
the river and clambered up a steep hill, carved with roots for steps, and then
ran up a dirt path into the woods. The
trees crowded close enough to touch as I wove higher along the bluff, deeper into
the forest. I looked down over the trees
that framed the river, deep greens with patches of orange and red. A heron glided over the water, unaware I was watching
from above.
I stopped at a fallen tree and leaned on its
bark, felt the sweat run down my skin, my heart hammering in my chest, the air
filling my lungs, and felt the world settle around me. John Burroughs said he went to nature “..to
be soothed and healed, and have my senses put in order.” I could feel that settle on me, far enough
into my run to have sweated out the distractions I woke up with. I turned to go back down the path toward
home, and instead was taken to church.
I have
felt God in peculiar places. In emergency
rooms, on a Greyhound bus, in chance encounters with people, in narrow escapes
from fatal moments. I once took Wonder Bread
communion from the back of a tattered pick up truck, standing next to a small cemetery
in the middle of South Dakota, and it was one of the most satisfying moments in
my faith life. I have been in a tent, in
a mechanic’s bay, in an abandoned shed, and regardless of what the place was
meant for, it contained the Creator.
And so
it was yesterday. I saw a shaft of
sunlight piercing the trees, lighting the narrow path in another
direction. I turned that way and ran
under the canopy of the forest, dodging roots and rocks. A deer trotted with me in the shadows. The sun turned the trees into a cathedral,
brilliant stars of light between the green places, lighting up the autumn
colors, deep orange and burgundy and yellow, stained glass among the maples and
oaks. Brilliant columns of sunlight
stood among the trees, changing the earth and wood and leaves into a sanctuary,
an adytum, a tabernacle, a place of peace where God is present.
In any
ordinary moment there can be a miracle. It
happens to us when we are not paying attention, these holy exchanges between
people or among any of creation. In
those places God exists, and whatever your beliefs, doctrines, whatever your
religion, you can connect with the Creator and feel what you were intended for.
I ran
back out of the woods, along the river again until I came to a small brook, giggling
among rocks and then joining its bigger sibling. I went to the edge and stood on flat rocks
and leaned over and dipped my hands in the cool water, felt the stones in the
earth, felt the eternal flow of the brook becoming part of something else. Leaves passed by, and I wished them well on their
journey. I had no intent, only to feel
what was there, a sacrament of sorts, and it was the most natural thing that
could happen.
Sometime
in the decades of exploring I have learned that my closest experiences with God
have been in moments like these. Not in
complex architecture, not under soaring painted ceilings or among friezes and
dour icons, or among marble and carved Latin.
I respect those places, and I will always include them in my life. But somehow in nature, where there is less, it
is more.
No
matter your faith, or where you usually go when you worship, it has probably
been disrupted by the way of our world right now. Most of you already know but let me serve as
a reminder. The world and all that is in
it, including churches and forests, have in them elements of the Creator. All we need to do is to take the moment
needed to see it, and in whatever way is your way, to connect with it. To think, to give thanks, to pray, to ask, to
grieve, to find peace.
Hope
this finds you finding your way,
David
Copyright
© 2020 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment