Monday, August 24, 2020

Celebrate

 


August 24, 2020

 Greetings from the reasons we make,

 Yesterday I was talking with my brother, Doug.  I didn’t have a reason to call, it was just time, or past time, probably.  We ended up laughing, a common exchange, no matter the conversation.  A few times while talking to him I have laughed so hard a crowd has gathered to see what all the noise is about.  After I hung up yesterday, I could still feel the pleasure of the laugh.  I even laughed remembering how hard we laughed. 

 It is a welcome feeling, this expression of happiness, a smile that cannot be contained, that must be more.  Laughter is a celebration.

 My daughter’s daughter, Ila, has reminded me of a principle of living a satisfying life; to celebrate.  She is so new to life our focus is on every increment that seals her safe passage into this world.  And then seeing her eyes follow our hand, and reach for it, and then her first smile, her first food, when she turns over.  Wow.

 There are few other places where we are so willing to celebrate than with a baby.  We are not shy about applauding when she blows a bubble of spit, or poops, or puts her finger in her nose.  And of course she will stand and then first steps, and there will be first words, firsts after firsts, all anticipated, and then joyfully celebrated. 

 But we are self-conscious about second steps, and third, until steps are mundane and ordinary.  We would not call all our relatives to tell them that our twenty-six-year-old son just took a step. 

 Birthdays and anniversaries and other milestones are easy places for us to start.  Achievements at the end of real effort, or momentous occasions like weddings or graduations.  Of course, we should applaud these moments and share the joy in them. 

 But I suggest looking for reasons to celebrate.  My twenty six year old son took a step, one of many, that will lead to satisfying work, or meaningful relationships, or achievements or simply building a rich, satisfying life.  Somebody get candles for the cake.

 You might think that constant celebration would diminish its impact, that it would feel unnatural and inauthentic.  You might wonder if we celebrate everything that happens if it will diminish real, significant reasons to acknowledge.  I say, take that chance.

 I hesitated to write this but here I am anyway; celebrate what you take for granted.  Not long ago my son Sawyer was hit by a car.  It was a terrifying thing, and thankfully it was no worse than it was.  When it was time to leave the emergency room, and he swung his legs off the bed and stood, took his first step, it was a moment of such joy and relief, such happiness, that it deserved celebration.  Maybe not appropriate at three o’clock in the morning at Detroit Receiving Hospital, but I would have put candles on the cake and had a party.

 You don’t have to look for tragedy or near misses, you simply need to acknowledge the gifts we are given and celebrate them.  You are a creative and intelligent bunch; you will find the reasons and the ways.  I urge you to do it.

 At the heart of celebration is the core of happiness: it is being grateful.   We could do worse than spending our waking moments seeking for reasons to celebrate.  We already know that what we focus on in our life will expand, and it’s true with this act.  Look for reasons to celebrate and they will line up to be counted. 

 Nature celebrates.  Each flower that blooms, every new fawn that bounds, each rebirth of seasons, we see the elements shout ‘Waa Hoo!’  The light shapes every tree, every stalk of wheat, even the sensual mounds of snow, revealing beauty that was created for us to see. Even as I write this the sun is buttering the grass in gold, calling to me to see how life continues to celebrate. 

 This is not the first time I’ve written about this, so I know these things, but knowing and doing can be lifetimes apart.  Twelve years ago, I wrote these words: “So, when do you feel you are at your best; when you are complaining about how hard things are, or when you celebrate a moment that elevates your heart rate and your smile can barely keep from turning into laughter?   So, pretend you get to choose: how do you want to spend your day today?” 

I am reminding myself here. 

 Sips of coffee. Morning light. Birds. The feel of grass on bare feet. An open field. Woods in every season. Words that move us or inspire us when threaded together. Thoughts while running. Seeing, tasting, smelling, feeling, hearing. Sore muscles.  The sense of wonder.  When we celebrate these things, we are showing gratitude for these gifts.  Celebration is prayer. 

 Our Creator wrote the music before we were born, scribbled a score on some infinite scroll, and set it free into our existence.  When we laugh, we express the composition written for us.  It is a celebration of the moment, put to music.  I believe it is why we are.  I love why we are.

 Laughter is a celebration of life.  You have passion in your life, which I hope you express, and in that act, like laughter, you live out what was given to you, and that in itself is a reason to celebrate.  Don’t wait for a date, or an accumulation of years, or a first step, or the end of a life.  Celebrate now. 

 

Hope this finds you choosing to celebrate,

 David

No comments:

Post a Comment