July
6, 2020
Greetings
from the purpose,
Some time ago a fellow runner offered a quote: “All runners are either
running from something, or toward something.”
And then asked which category I fell into. In the moment I didn’t have an articulate
answer. I think I said ‘neither’ which
was not entirely satisfying. Some months
later the question surfaced again, and I thought long enough to better say what
I meant.
It occurred to me perhaps the quote is false, that it is one of those ‘overthought’
truisms that somehow have survived runner’s conversations over the years. Maybe it’s a good illustration that we will
talk about anything to do with the sport.
From chafing to child rearing, we can connect it to running.
For the non-runner, and some casual runners, none of this might
matter. “Run, don’t run, whatever,” they
think, “just don’t bore me with another story about being injured.” Understood.
But don’t give up reading yet.
Simon Sinek’s book, ‘Start with
Why’ gave me some clues. His approach
addressed the question to organizations but certainly applies to individuals. We know what we do, we know how
we do it, but if we understand the ‘why’, the purpose behind what we do, it makes
it possible to move past challenges that may otherwise divert us. Provides meaning. Hm.
I’ll agree that some runners, maybe sometimes me, are running ‘from’
something. They run to lose weight, from
failures, to escape responsibilities, to try to move away physically and
philosophically from whatever they want to leave behind. I’m not sure I run to escape anything,
although there is a certain uninterruptible sanctuary in the act.
And I see the perspective of running ‘toward’ something. To accomplishments, to goals, literally to a
finish line. Or perhaps running toward
some better version of ourselves. The
miles we run provide us a way to be healthier, and the time on the road is a
great place to create a healthy philosophy of life too.
A couple of nights ago I sat on the deck with Sawyer and Tim, all
runners, talking about training. Sawyer,
accustomed to the stratospheric weekly miles, Tim and I bound by gravity and
age to less ambitious plans. I dropped
out of the conversation but listened as they talked mileage, speedwork,
repeats, ladders, off weeks, tempo runs.
Sometime in the last decade I found myself clinging less to some of
these details. I know the value of a plan;
I know that to accomplish anything of significance you have to be intentional. It is important to set some standard to
achieve, to hold yourself accountable, or it is too easy to give up or be
distracted by other things. But even
knowing all this, I think less of it as something separate, or as part of
something I am running toward, or trying to conquer. I have developed more of an instinctual,
organic feel for my running, formed more by the ‘why’ than the ‘how’.
Yesterday morning I ran along the river. The sun was already up, and by the time I
reached the path that follows the curving water I was just past the aching and
stiffness that might have kept me at home.
As I ran, I peered through the trees and saw a man standing in the
river in waders, working a rod over the water, making elegant waves with his
line, long graceful calligraphy in the air.
He had no creel, no other equipment but a small bag on his hip. I watched him long enough to see a fish
strike, to see him reel it close enough to release it back into the water and
then cast again.
Maybe half a mile downriver I saw a heron standing near the shore,
poised still over the water, watching a small eddy at his feet, waiting for his
breakfast. Intent on his purpose.
Both were fishing, one for the simply pleasure of the act, the other to
eat, to survive. I shouldn’t speak for
the heron, perhaps there is pleasure in the act of waiting and watching as
well. There is value and beauty for both
fishers. One with a specific goal, the
other, an expression of something he enjoys.
The starlings wheel and whirl in clouds of living art, and I have come
to believe they do it simply out of the joy of being able to. That is why I run, to express the sheer joy of
being able to. Somehow, maybe after many
years of pushing my body to run, I have found that this is one of the things I
am made for.
Each of us have gifts we will connect with during a life, and we feel
this exhilaration, this ‘rightness’ when we make use of them. It is as close to knowing our ‘why’ as it gets. I feel this when I run. To borrow from Eric Liddel in ‘Chariots of
Fire’ “I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run, I feel his pleasure.”
It’s likely that during a lifetime of it I have been running to, or
from, something at one time or other. But
for the most part, especially now, I run simply for the experience of running.
It may not seem relevant in this moment, but sometime today give it
some thought. Whether you are intentionally
moving away from something or toward something, or if you are simply enjoying
the experience, does it fill you with the sense of joy that we were made for?
Hope
this finds you finding your why,
David
Copyright
© 2020 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment