February
24, 2020
Greetings from
the aerie,
When you come
across a nest of baby birds it is impossible not to be fascinated. You want to watch them, tiny bundles of
newness, grasping at the day. They are
enthusiastic chirpers, calling to each other and their parents, calling to
friends in other nests. Their eyes are large,
taking in everything. They are incessantly
hungry, always fully aware, every waking moment they feel themselves growing
into who they would be.
There comes a
time as these birds prepare to leap from the nest and open their wings. Their muscles are now developed, they have
feathers, they have the power, they already know instinctively how to fly. They are in the fledge stage of their life.
I would like
to tell you about Leslie, but there is no way to do that justice, and so I’ll
tell you about this single moment in her life so you can have a sense of who
she is. You would like to have Leslie as a friend, and a sister. I know.
In our
formative years, Leslie and I tormented each other, as siblings do. Teasing each other, taking each other’s
Halloween candy, having fabricated spats in the way-back of the station
wagon. I once smashed overripe bananas
in the sheets of her bed. She in turn
threw a small step ladder at me as I ran down the basement stairs and creased the
back of my head.
Leslie Ann
Smith left home and joined the Marines.
In those days when you told people that it got their attention. When she got out, she landed in California
and it occurs to me that’s why so many people move there; to be close to where
she is.
Our childhood,
rich as it was, was a sliver compared to our grown-up years. We have a host of the mature experiences in
common that cast a lot wider and longer shadow.
Raising children, working, traveling, collecting joys and sorrows a day
at a time. Even separated by thousands
of miles, she has always found a way to be as close as a neighbor to me and my
family.
Leslie turned sixty years old, which was reason enough to
celebrate. You wouldn’t guess her age, in
part because she smiles like she is still a teenager. She has an interesting resume, professional
distractions aside. She is a mother and
wife, a skilled hostess, a woman of style, a creative person. She is a photographer, a collector of beauty
in many ways. I want to write about all
those things, but the brightness of her birthday celebration makes everything
look dim in comparison. And so this is
the facet I will share.
Several dozen people
crowded into a space made just for celebrating and did just that. They bumped and squeezed and ate and laughed. They swarmed and fluttered and swept back and
forth, making the rooms warm, holding each other, creating little sparks of
magic. It was like a nest of sorts.
They toasted
and cheered. They told stories and cried
and then laughed again. They said Leslie
was a friend, that she saved them, she was a joy, she taught them. They said she was compassionate and
courageous and funny and just good to be around. She stood there in that group and soaked in
that love, and I could see her becoming more herself. Fledging.
Leslie walked
me around the room and introduced me to these people. This one left gifts on her porch, this one
brought food, this one had prayers said in church, this friend wrote notes, and
on and on. Each time she described how
they had been her strength, I saw their eyes shining, their faces glowing, and
I knew they loved her, and were better for it.
She was their strength, too.
A fledge has been nurtured and encouraged and taught until it is
time. The feathers create warmth, allow
flight, adorn the young bird with colors to attract love. Its eyes are wide open, it understands it is
time. And there is a beautiful moment
when it unfolds its wings and leans into the air and begins its journey into
the world. And it is changed and so is
the world.
Several months ago, Leslie discovered she had cancer. It was frightening and sudden and with some
other people, it might have ended in tragedy.
I think she is a woman of some strength, but I can also see that no one
walks through something like this alone.
Not like this. It was beautiful to
see. Her family and friends fluttered
around her, held her, protected her, fed her, encouraged her, taught her.
In the eternity that passed, she pushed the invader back and began to
build her strength. And when her
sixtieth year rang, she was already making her way toward healthy again,
already given the good news about her future.
And now she is nearly full-fledged.
She is already looking at the world in a new way, with the eyes of
someone who is being restored, given a new chance. Her hair is growing in, the strength returning
to her, the color in her skin, the light in her eyes becoming more vibrant.
Maybe there is a better word than ‘fledge’ to describe this place in
Leslie’s life, but I decided not to look for it. I stood in the nest with the others who love
her and watched my sister become herself again.
Together we watched her fill out in beautiful plumes, taking deep
breaths between tears and laughter. All
of us stood around her and marveled as she spread her wings, and felt her lift
us with her as she took flight.
Hope
this finds you of a feather,
David

No comments:
Post a Comment