January
13, 2020
Greetings from
the circle,
When I was a young boy, I learned there were certain required items
one should keep in one’s pocket. Little
boys of this era typically had collections with them to occupy them while
waiting for something less interesting to pass. Going to Kmart. Waiting at
church, or at an aunt’s house, at the dentist, or any of the long list of
places I was forced to go.
And so each morning I would make sure there was an adequate supply of equipment
to get through the day. Truth is, the
only time the pockets of my little blue jeans were emptied were when my Mom did
the laundry, so ordinarily I had quite an assortment. Matchbox car.
Coin. Washer. A mysterious piece of coral. Some string. Something from Bazooka Joe.
And Marbles. In my earliest
years these were the equivalent of a smart phone for filling an idle
moment.
I enjoyed playing with my friends, and whoever else happened to be in
the circle. I was not particularly skilled,
so I preferred not to play ‘keepsies’, which is how I lost most of my
collection at one time or another.
It was a simple thing to initiate.
Draw a circle in the dirt. Put your
marbles in. Use your ‘shooter’ to hit
the marbles you want. There are
variations but this is the overarching theme.
Once the circle was drawn kids would appear to play. Some, after they ran home to get their favorite
‘biggie’.
Girls didn’t play marbles; girls played jacks. That was the universal rule.
There were steelies, cat’s eyes, aggies, glassies. I don’t think I knew the names of all of them
then, but once in a while I would spot a beautifully whorled choice that made
me risk gambling my marbles for a chance to win it.
Most of my marbles came from the Chinese Checkers game at home; small
and ordinary. This was a source of
irritation to my parents who hoped for greater things from me than groveling in
the gravel with other boys who couldn’t grasp strategy beyond ‘knuckling down’.
Some of my friends had bags they kept their marbles in. Those with the largest collections would use
the velvet Crown Royale bag their dad had given them. Some used lunch bags or an errant sock.
I relied on the Gold Mine bubble gum company. The gum, which appeared to be small chunks of
gold, came in a small cloth bag cinched with a fragile string. Almost perfect for my little collection.
Marbles were not welcome everywhere.
For example, if you left a few in the living room carpet for your Dad to
step on in his stocking feet. Or, if you
dropped one during mass at St. Matt’s and it rolled under the kneeler and you
had to crawl under the pew in front of you to get it, and your Mom said she was
going to give you ‘what for’ later.
Playing marbles was an easy way to meet other kids, in a casual competition
arena. Although, I do remember a few
games that devolved into wrestling, which only makes sense, what with being on
the ground already. It was a low risk
game, unless you put marbles in your mouth.
I remember when I was a young man, I went into a craft store for some
reason and there they had barrels of marbles.
You could get a hundred for a dollar.
The little boy in me was astounded.
What? How could it be that only $1 separated me
from all this treasure?
In time I graduated to other more sophisticated distractions. Yo-yo.
Harmonica. Mumbly peg. Comic
books of course. And, in time,
girls. But there is something visceral
about the click of marbles, and that strange vibration of glass on glass, a
little song that is only held in marbles.
If you haven’t heard it lately, I recommend it.
Hope
this finds you with a bumboozer,
David
Copyright
© 2019 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment