Monday, July 1, 2019

Singing




July 1, 2019

Greetings from b flat,

Nature has ways of protecting us from ourselves.  We can’t smell our own bad breath, or (usually) or own body odor, we can’t see how we look from behind in our new shorts, we can’t kiss our own elbows.  And, we can’t really hear how we sound when we sing.

I sing a lot. I am that guy in the car next to you howling to ‘Born to Run’ (with dance moves) and the loony in the elevator still absently murdering the lyrics to ‘Southern Cross’ as I drip my post-run sweat on the floor.  In that moment I don’t know how bad I sound OR how bad I smell.  Thanks nature.

I will sing while I run, sing while I putter, sing while I listen to music (sometimes a different song) and sing/hum while I am getting dressed.  It is really surprising how often it goes on, considering how awful I am.

I sing in the shower.  I like to go over my favorite parts of songs (the words I think I know) where my manly bass/mezzo soprano/nasal rasp voice booms the most in the shower.  So, if you were outside the door (which would be weird) you might guess I had suffered some kind of stroke.  “…and I still haven’t found, what I’m looking for….and I STILL haven’t found what …still HAVEN’T found what.. I…looking for..mmmm… for…”

Some years ago, I was singing karaoke at a church event and there was something exactly wrong about the acoustics.  It was one of those moments when there was no ambient noise or supportive friends or alcohol to mask the awfulness.   I won’t tell you the song I chose but I will say later I got a cease and desist letter from Bob Dylan.  If you sing a Bob Dylan song worse than Bob Dylan, that’s not a good sign.

I’ve sung ‘God Bless America’ a few million times, led groups of people singing it in fact, so I know the song.  But I still get to ‘To the oceans, white with foam’ and have no idea how I am going to sing that high. So, then there is this moment where I either go for it and risk setting off smoke alarms, or suddenly switch octaves and pull a song muscle.  Actually it’s fun to watch the reaction of people around me no matter which way I go.  You know, that look of ghastly embarrassment people get when they see an escaped lunatic splashing naked through a park fountain and everyone is thinking ‘Someone should do something!  This is awful!’ All the while singing along in another key and trying not to make eye contact.

I sing in church, but I have learned to mostly lip synch that since I don’t want to throw off everyone around me, and possibly be excommunicated or risk purgatory, if that is still a thing.  I hope God understands, since he created me and my voice, and not the rules in church.

It takes a certain courage to sing and not be self-conscious about it, particularly when you are nearly fatally awful at it.  Like with other things, my bravery in this area waxes and wanes, sometime shaped by the strength of my inner five year old, who does not care who hears him sing.

In the summer mornings I am awakened by the sound of birds singing.  Sometimes just a mourning dove, sometimes a small choir of those higher range performers, welcoming the morning.  They sing to acknowledge each other, to attract a mate, to call to their parents, to fill their lungs with air.  They sing because they can and they should.

I like the way they sing together, even though they sing in a different language, from me and from each other.  Somehow it sounds natural and lovely, as they are created to be.

This week I had the beautiful opportunity to sing with them.  It was a song I hadn’t thought of in a long time and it’s hard to say why it came to me when it did.  But for a minute it felt as though my voice and the vibration of creation was in harmony.  I could feel it in my chest, on my cheek, as if someone were singing with me, helping me remember the words, and what the music was like.

The birds did not seem to mind.  Well, maybe a couple sang louder to perhaps cover my warbling, but it was in that good-natured way that birds have.  By the way, I don’t think birds can smell their own worm breath.

It’s interesting to me that at either end of six decades I am less concerned with how my singing sounds to others.  When I was five, I sang blissfully unaware of any lack of talent, and now, I am aware but not concerned.  I will be considerate around other humans, and if invited to sing along at a birthday party I’ll try not to spoil the celebration.  But in every other moment, I am going to sing when the song comes to me. 

 “The woods would be quiet if no bird sang but the one that sang best.”  Henry Van Dyke


Hope this finds you full of song,

David



Copyright © 2019 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment