March
18, 2019
Greetings from
where we connect,
“And
that's why God needs us. Because God loves to feel things through our
hands.”
― Elizabeth Gilbert
― Elizabeth Gilbert
Our hands amaze
me. I am astounded at their vast spectrum
of ability. From the most intricate, delicate
work, to wielding hammers, to living out whatever our minds command. Often noted as what separates us from other
animals, our ability to use our hands to create, for good or bad, is an extension
of our will, of our selves.
Our hands lead
us into the world. We reach out to one
another, shake hands to show our intentions, pat a shoulder, express love. We hold hands, fingers interlaced as if they
were designed to be go together, literally connecting two people. We fold them together to pray. Phalanges, tendons and bones, thin muscles,
tiny blue veins, the sense of touch that brings the world to us. If you look at your hands’ place in your life
it will instill awe.
Nothing
prepares you for when your child rolls her hand around your finger, one of
their first explorations of the new universe, maybe the first time they make
claim, using their little fingers to hold our hearts.
When our
children were young, every time we were out, we would say “Hold hands, now.” It was a frank necessity, when it was typical
that the children outnumbered the parent.
Link hands, all of them, and there was this thin strand of protection, we
were connected so no one would get lost or hurt.
As they gained
independence, we held hands in other ways for other reasons, but we are always linked. Katherine, Carson, Harrison, Sawyer and
Alexander. My hands were made for many
things, but among them it is to hold theirs.
Yesterday was
their birthday, these boys of ours.
Their sister will host a party at her house in a few days, where we will
celebrate in earnest, clapping, pointing, tasting frosting, waving our hands
while we talk. Holding hands. My hands knew before I did that I would want to
record it here this morning.
Carson’s hands
express; music and literature and written ideas. He has used them to lead, to make points as
he tells a story, to turn the pages of the ideas he explores. His hands spread peace; shakes hands with
people all over the world. He puts them
to work to share his faith, his ideas, to reach for what is next.
Harrison’s
hands express; experimenting with food, writing music, playing the cello,
writing a script, editing a film. He
holds a pen, buttons a floral shirt, crafts complex humor. His is a gentle touch. His hands are curious. He uses them to create, to share, to reach
for what is next.
Sawyer’s hands
express; a drive, a passion, searching for ideas, sharing his thoughts. His hands have worked hard, lifted, pushed,
led others. His fingers strum the
guitar, open the book to study, slap the hands of the men he runs with. His hands make change, adapt, start again,
risk, reach for whatever is next.
I say to
Alexander: “I know you like the back of my hand.” His response still waits to be heard.
Alexander’s
hands exist in the space between ours, the places where his fingers would lock
with ours. He didn’t hold his sister’s
hand at her wedding, or push the door open on his dorm room or put the crayon
to paper and create the first art. Our
son, whose fingerprints didn’t grace the window, whose hands didn’t explore beyond
the day we said goodbye, holds the hands of those who wait on the other
side.
Decades ago
now, I shook Bill Anderson’s hand, an artist’s grip. I had written a poem about the boys, the four
of them, and described it to Bill and asked him if he could paint what I was
thinking. He considered it during lunch
and after brought me a sketch on a napkin and it was exactly what I would have
drawn, if I had his gift. A few months
later he sat at my desk and we both wept at what he had made with those
beautiful hands.
The painting
is hanging just a few feet from me. I
look at it every morning I am in this room.
If there were a fire, I would risk my hands to go back and bring it to
safety. It reminds me of the tremendous
arc of my boys’ lives, all they have become and brought to the world. I see them, individual, but linked, to each
other and to the brother who shadows them.
Yesterday we
marked twenty-five years of holding their hands. It is remarkable to see what they do now, and
the potential that they have at their fingertips. We have shown them how to tie
their shoes, then watched them do it until it wasn’t necessary to watch
them. My hands, then yours. Then yours.
Then the others you will touch.
Hope
this finds you with your hands fitted together,
David
Copyright
© 2019 David Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment