Monday, October 1, 2018

Web of Webs




October 1, 2018

Greetings from the web of webs,

I like to think that I am a digitally sophisticated person.  It’s not true, but I like to think it.  This thought occurs to me as I send these words out through the sorcery of the internet, which I stopped trying to understand when we lost modem screech.

Before you read any further, let me assure you this is not a letter from an African prince asking for help transferring $15 million into the U.S.  Also, I am not from Google asking for your password to your YMCA account so we can fix any bugs.  Phishing, (purposely misspelled here to promote an innovative rock band, which is purposely misspelled to avoid confusion with the singer ‘Fish’) is so common these days that you don’t know who to trust.  So let me assure you, I’m ok.  Not exactly a Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval but it’s all a risk nowadays.

Disreputable denizens of the cyberworld have been working overtime to find ways to delude trusting sorts.  Among the most aggravating methods is Ransomware.  (Purposely capitalized to avoid confusion with the band Phish.) This is where some teenager in Russia hacks your computer and locks it up using digital peanut butter.  To get your computer back, and the imperative files therein, you have to pay a ransom.

Ransomware, or cryptoviral extortion, is paid off through cryptocurrencies.  I seriously hope this doesn’t happen to me because I am already struggling with the ATM, and the idea that I am going to have to learn ‘cryptocurrency’ (which you just KNOW will be in metric) makes me shudder.  Shuddering makes my screen freeze up.

Obviously having your computer kidnapped would wreak havoc in anyone’s life.  I know people who have dealt with this problem and it brings out compound curse words in the kindest soul.  But part of me was thinking that this could be a blessing in disguise. 

Suppose someone locked up my laptop and took all my files and then I told them to just keep them.  Right now seems like a good time.  If you find anything of interest, feel free to keep it or put it on the Dark Web or Wikipedia or print it on the menu at Choo Choo’s restaurant.  I’ll go back to doing whatever we did before AOL.

I might be better off without it.  Imagine if you could not access your calendar, or finish that vacuous document, or miss out on Words with Friends.  What would happen next?  Sure there are consequences I wouldn’t like; maybe it would be harder to pay my federal income tax for example.  But it’s also possible that there would be a simpler life on the horizon. 

Not having to wonder, for example, if my appliances are being used to steal my identity would be a relief. I could go back to just worrying about ordinary burglars and whoever is stealing my free newspaper from the end of the driveway, instead of being anxious over whether or not I’m being spied on by a Lithuanian money launderer through my steam iron. 

It is tedious trying to avoid smart appliances, not even knowing if I have any.  To be safe I am careful not to let my toaster see me sign on to my email account.  (password; refrigerator)  Doorbells, garage door openers, even crockpots, are all connected to the internet and all have the same capacity for malevolence. 

I am not a Luddite. (Not referring to citizens of Ludington, this is the other Luddite that I’m not.)  I enjoy technology and its conveniences and access to the vast wealth of intelligence on the internet. (Plus those great goat videos.)  I am just a little frayed from being afraid.  So, perhaps, taking a page from Elmore Leonard; if I’m asked for ransom I’ll suggest the kidnapper keep what they took.  Let them deal with Outlook.  Don’t forget my sister’s birthday.

Someone out there is right now saying to themselves ‘Better be careful what you wish for.’
So before I start attracting bad internet juju let me say I am not asking to be targeted by African princes.  Or Fish. Or Prince.  I am just feeling a little nostalgic for a time when getting an email from a friend didn’t require a virus detector.

So onward.  We can be careful without it crushing our spirit.  And while the world sorts itself out, I may take to writing more letters. 

Hope this finds you dialing up,

David


Copyright © 2018 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment