Monday, August 6, 2018

Mind your own beeswax


Related image




August 6, 2018

Greetings from the meander,

Today I will share with you three things.  I am mentioning this in case you want to get a piece of paper to keep track. 

We are in the process of shrinking our house and then restoring it to nearly the exact dimension as previous.  We are doing this by first removing a tiny fraction of an inch on the exterior which will then be replaced by a virtually identical layer.  The actual shape of our house will not change.  At all.  It will be just like David Copperfield was here and made the entire thing disappear, slightly, and then reappear. 

It can be a challenging process.  There are ladders involved, often poised in precarious positions, and here I am using the word ‘precarious’ as a synonym for ‘perilous’ and not to refer to the Pre-Carious era during which insects ruled the world.  Which would be ridiculous for two reasons.

And so I find myself at the top of a ladder, from which height I can vividly imagine reversing my vertical progress at an accelerated rate ending suddenly on the ground next to the tool that I meant to take with me when I first ascended. 

So there are ladders and tools and cursing, which are employed to slowly and carefully remove the epidermis of our house like peeling the shell off a hard boiled egg.  And then, in an even more elaborate process, putting the shell back on in an almost exact replica of the first shell.  Maybe a slightly less reddish color, but not too yellow.

So that’s one thing.  Here is the second thing.

Informed citizens already know there is a bee shortage.  Farmers across the country have raised the issue to a meme-worthy Facebook post, which clearly shows the crisis in a way informed citizens can comprehend.  With the bee shortage many crops are in danger of not being pollinated.  There is a simple reason for this bee shortage; they are all living inside my house.

The more time I spend on ladders shrinking my house, the more places I find that bees are living.  Some have formed nests which are obvious, but many of them, and when I say ‘many’ I mean ‘all of the bees in the northern hemisphere’, have taken up residence inside.

Like most things that do not contribute to me getting coffee I try not to think about bees.  I have always assumed they have a similar attitude about me. 

If I find they have built an elaborate mud fort behind a shutter I am taking off the house, so that later I can put it back exactly where it was in the exact dimension it was, but in a slightly different color, I remain ambivalent.  Until one of the bees stung me right in my cartilage. 

It turns out bees do have an opinion about my existence and it is not as neutral as I have often assumed.  This rancor, obviously welling for some time, inspired one of their ranks to stab me in the cusp of my ear.

What I have surmised is that the bees resent having to work for farmers for free.  That antipathy, buzzing slightly below the surface of their seemingly carefree existence, can lead to violence.  Which for the record I did not reciprocate, at least not very effectively.

And so because of this agricultural oppression there has been a mass migration of bees to occupy the internal shape of my house, which as previously mentioned, I am currently shrinking/growing from the exterior shape.

It is in this context I find myself at the top of a ladder, which is swaying from the pull of the moon and through which I can feel the vibration from the shifting of the tectonic plates.  Defying the laws of gravity and common sense I am attempting to slice off a thousandth of an inch of the outside of my house.  And in that moment a bee drifts by, as if to say; ‘Are you sure you want to be up here?’

Those of you who got a piece of paper to keep track, will have noted that of the three things I said I would share, only two have been noted so far.  And that is the third thing.

Hope this finds you busy as a bee,


David


Copyright © 2018 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment