Monday, June 4, 2018

Boston Tableau




June 4, 2018

Greetings from the tableau,

On my table was a cup of coffee, my closed laptop, my hat.  My hands.  It is the only claim I had staked to the real estate, but generally it is a widely accepted social flag that this is my space.

She totally missed that cue.  She sat down and put a huge purse on the table between us.  There were other tables but she sat with me. There was no exchange, nothing to take the awkwardness out of it.  Well, I suppose only one of us felt awkward.

The Starbucks was two blocks from my hotel.  I knew it opened at 5 am and I was there when they unlocked the door.  It is on a side street of Boston’s theater district, at the moment hidden from view by some construction on the building next door.  But I knew where it was.

It was just dark enough on the narrow street that it should have given me pause, but I have a foolish naivete about some circumstances.  As I walked past the shrouded scaffolding, knowing I’d find the coffee shop on the other side, I nearly bumped into three men standing behind it smoking.  All of us were startled.

I sipped my coffee and watched the people walk in.  The door swung again and again the tables along the windows began to fill.  I could see our reflection in the glass, our twin world slowly turning the dark into color. 

It became obvious they came here each morning.  A cluster of women, some carrying purses, or paper shopping bags, tucking them around their legs as they nested among the tables in the corner and along the front of the shop.  They knew each other.  I looked at the over the rim of my cup and tried to imagine what was happening here.

Not office workers getting an early start.  Not waitresses on their way to work.  Not mothers out to get a 5:15 cappuccino at a hard to find coffee shop on a bleak street in Boston.

Sprinkled in with the first customers were the street people who had just been smoking outside and a few other stragglers.  They fumbled with their coins and wadded bills at the counter and sat down with their coffee, stuffing their belongings at their feet.  Some still wore the blankets they slept in.  They were not at Starbucks for the Italian Roast, but because it was open and it was dry.

I watched the group of women, some with coffee, others pawing through their bags, taking out wrapped food, or papers, all of them talking in quiet conversations.  And then I knew what I hadn’t absorbed at first.  The women were all men.

A few more filtered in and joined the group, men in wigs and loose floral dresses.  Heavy makeup.  Some were very adept at the application, others clearly not so.  I could not hear all of what they said, but I could tell they were relating things that had happened during the night.  They passed papers to each other, I could hear them making plans.

The restroom is for customers only.  Once one of them bought coffee and got the code for the door, then they all had the code for the door.

Other customers swept in, ordered, rushed out.  The usual morning rush, people grabbing a fast coffee, people with phones and papers and briefcases and credit cards and fitted suits and a place to go next.  They would not see the others at the tables. 

I thought about this moment and realized how often I have repeated it.  Up early in a strange city, out running, or searching for coffee, and I find myself at home with those who have no home. 

A man in the other corner shouted something, no one looked, not even the baristas behind the counter.  He wore several layers of clothing and a tattered knit hat.  He held his cup of coffee with both hands when he raised it to his mouth, still muttering.  Same guy from Atlanta and Phoenix and Salt Lake and LA and New Orleans; just a different coffee shop, a different wet street that smelled a little bad.  Just a different doorway to sleep in, another steam grate, another shelter that locked the door when it was full.  The newspaper he used for a bed had a different masthead but it was the same newspaper they all sleep with.

The woman was at my table, the purse between us.  It was vinyl, worn at the straps and the edges.  I could tell she was living out of this bag.  I don’t know why but it struck me strange that there was a hand sanitizer clipped to the outside.  I said good morning.  I figured we were going to spend some time together, might as well break the ice.  Except she didn’t know I was there. 

Some of the women had gone outside to smoke.  In a minute a couple of the street people had joined them, cadging a cigarette from them.  It was lighter outside now and I could see them together, laughing, sharing whatever it is they had in common.  It was like a silent movie with no subtitles.  Try to guess what is being said; what the man in the ill-fitting wig and the blue polyester pantsuit was saying to the toothless guy with the sleeping bag draped over his shoulders.

 I don’t know whether they would describe it this way, but I could see this was a treasure for them, to be with other people from the fringe.  Just to be with someone from the tribe who understood without any explanation.

Coffee was $2.14.  It was easy to get another cup and leave it my table when I packed my laptop up and put on my hat to leave.  The woman sitting there didn’t say anything, nor did I expect her to.

I pushed open the door and walked out into the richest nation in the world.

Hope this finds you among your tribe,

David


Copyright © 2018 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment