Monday, November 20, 2017

Christmas Creep



November 20, 2017

Greetings from the new leaf,

Most of us can tell that Thanksgiving is coming.  There are the usual clues; in some households there are primitive paper renderings of turkeys stuck to the refrigerator, or perhaps food being prepared, particularly things that are rarely eaten except on Thanksgiving.  I’m thinking of anything with cranberries, yams or pumpkin here.

The other way you know that Thanksgiving is near is that many homes decorate for Christmas.  Wait, this is not what you think it is.

For many households the introduction of the Christmas season has been pushed back week by week until in some places the tree goes up as soon as the Halloween candy is eaten.  For the more festive homes, the process might begin a little sooner; like right after the Fourth of July parade. 

Associated with this Christmas creep is the arrival of holiday music on the radio.  ‘Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer’, the Jingle Bell Dogs, along with all of your Christmas favorites, start playing as soon as socially acceptable, the limits of which has been slowly pushed until ‘Feliz Navidad’ could be heard after a Valentine’s Day promotion on KWOP, where they play all the hits all the time with fewer commercial interruptions. 

Loyal readers (and you both know who you are) will already know that in years past I would stand on my rickety soapbox to rail against the Christmas creep.  I predicted that unless we resisted then marketers and their unwitting partners would soon start decorating for Christmas immediately after Christmas. 

I’ll admit that I may have provided more vitriol than what was called for, which was none.  No one asked me to save Christmas from being absorbed into the Arbor Day celebrations.   What’s going to be different this year is this: I vow not to complain about Christmas creep.

If people want to turn their homes into Gingerbread Houses on Labor Day, why should I care?  If it makes someone else happy to sing along to ‘Oh Little Town of Bethlehem’ on President’s Day, who am I to judge? 





In some places (check local listings) this is a practical issue.  If you are going to put up outdoor Christmas décor (twinkling lights, wreaths, bows, inflatable Santa, projections of holiday scenes on your garage door, giant creche with life size camels, reindeer and sleigh on the roof etc) then you have to get it done before it’s too cold or the snow prevents it.  Just because I suffered frostbite slinging multicolored electrical icicles on the eves troughs on December 20th doesn’t mean the rest of the world should. 

The fact is no one cares about what I think about all of this.  I think I’ve said enough on the subject so that my opinion is known to people close to me, and frankly it has never produced change other than resentment and Olympic Caliber eye rolling.  I think in my effort to express my ‘holier than your holy’ opinion I gave people the wrong impression.  I am not a Grinch, I don’t have anything against Christmas, far from that.  I got too distracted by traditions and lost sight of what I really care about.

Even more important, it dawned on me recently that my rants about radio stations that play only Xmas songs from November to January and seeing Christmas lights before Halloween, or whatever, was casting a pall on the enjoyment of the season for other people. 

So, with that in mind I will shut up already.  And while I’m shutting up I’ll shut up.  I’ll eat a Shut Up sandwich.  Open up a can of Shut Up.  You get it.

In other good news, it’s possible that if I stop complaining about how other people celebrate the season, it may allow a little more of that good cheer to seep into my own life.  Hard to argue that even from the best of soapboxes. 

Hope this finds you with mistletoe on your mind,

David


Copyright © 2017 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment