June
27, 2016
Greetings
from where I find it,
And
there it was.
There
is a place on my run where the road rises slightly, crests a small hill. There are trees growing on either side of the
road, some arching up over the road.
Just beyond the last pine tree, the road slopes away and the horizon opens
up to gently rolling farmland.
I
have run by these houses hundreds of times and only seen two large white dogs
who lumber out to roar at me. I know
that they will only tromp to the edge of the trees and go back to the porch
having fulfilled their duty. I have
never seen a person here, usually passing by at an hour that even farmers will
still be looking at the top of their coffee mug.
I
was thinking about a conversation I had some time ago with a friend about what
is ‘sustainable’. We were talking about
a challenging time he was going through and I had offered (unsolicited) advice
on some practices to even out the day. His
response was that all of that kind of help he had ever heard was not ‘sustainable’
in the face of everyday life. ‘Who has the
energy for meditation when you have to get a two year old dressed to go to a
funeral?’
On
this morning, in the dim hours before my run, I had been reading ‘Daring
Greatly’, a book filled with great insights in living a balanced life, and I
found myself wondering about how much of it was ‘sustainable’. I had just re-read a chapter about gratitude
and joy, and as inspiring as it was, I found myself asking the same question
about how practical it was in my chaos.
And
there it was.
I
was running ahead of the sun, up the small rise past the cluster of houses in
the copse of trees. I was covered in
sweat, already five miles in, body working almost as well as it was going
to. Ahead of me I saw a man walking to
the end of his gravel drive, pause and look both ways along the two-lane, and
then walk across the road to his mailbox.
He
was beautiful. A man of an age that
would likely have placed him in the Greatest Generation, he moved easily,
without hesitation in his step. He wore slippers; I’m certain chosen for their
outdoor versatility, the likelihood of trips to the mailbox being high each
morning. And he wore pajamas of a
gorgeous shade of Robin egg blue.
He
glanced my way as he headed back across the road to his driveway and saw me
running toward him. I saw him smile,
flip a small wave at me, and then did a pantomime of a man running. He was enjoying it, this little unspoken
connection between us, slowly pumping his arms, gently lifting his knees, as if
he were demonstrating how someone would run in Robin egg blue pajamas.
There
was something in this that struck me. This
incongruous image, the grizzled man in pastel cotton, his impromptu ‘running
man’ across the macadam, and the sheer silliness, the sound of him chuckling at
himself, or me, as I ran by.
A
few miles later I turned and looked back east across the young corn, glistening
green in the morning sun. I stopped
there and let the beauty soak in, let the passion for this day fill up, felt
the sun warm me to my summer bones. I
realized standing in that gorgeous moment how much the morning had given me to
be grateful for.
That
morning I had read: ‘Joy comes to us in moments—ordinary moments. We risk missing out on joy when we get too
busy chasing down the extraordinary’. Brene
Brown makes the case that joy, and gratitude, build resilience in us. Any time we add either to our day, it gives
us the strength to contend with the other challenging realities that threaten
to fill every moment.
Sustainable? Why not?
Yes it takes being intentional, but we are choosing that all day
anyway. We choose what to focus on, what
to retain, what affects us. Go into the
day expecting to find joy, expecting to see beauty, and it will come to
you. The day will not arrange itself in
the order we need it, so we have to be open, aware of what we are being
given. Even stuck in traffic.
Whatever
difficulties this day brings us, we should know there has already been put the
joy we need. Not all inspiration comes
in dramatic sunrises. It can be
unexpected chocolate, a call from your best friend, a kiss you didn’t know you
needed, a prayer answered, a chance to play.
Sometimes it is in a book you read, or in the painting you create. Sometimes it is in a full dishwasher. Sometimes it is in the door you hold open, or
the kind word you weren’t going to say. Sometimes it comes in Robin egg blue
pajamas.
Hope
this finds you soaking it in,
David
Copyright
© 2016 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment