April
11, 2016
Greetings
from the greeting,
Some
months ago I was visiting a woman who lived in a cluttered home with only two
dogs as company. From the moment I came into the house the
woman was complaining about the dogs being under foot. I wondered out loud why she kept dogs when
they seemed to be such a nuisance to her.
She thought about it for a moment and then finally her face changed. For the first time I saw her smile, actually
laugh a little, as if the thought surprised her. She said: “When I come home, they are always
glad to see me.”
It
is a universal need among humans I think.
We want to matter, to be missed, to be liked, to be welcomed in, to be
acknowledged, cared for, to be loved.
Even a life filled with all of that can still be made better just by
having someone greet you with a smile.
I
bent over to rub the top of the baby’s head, sitting on the floor of our church,
and he looked up at me and smiled. There
is something irresistible about this. A
visceral connection is made when a baby smiles at you. No guile, no agenda, no question. He was glad to see me.
I
have read enough about child development to know that this may not be entirely
accurate. Babies smile for a variety of
reasons which evolve during their first year.
Regardless, the reflexive effect on me was strong. I smiled back, content to set aside science
and soak in the moment.
I
know this is common among all people.
Even the most self-assured, secure person will feel something when
another person acknowledges them, or better, expresses a positive response to
their presence. Describing it this way
sounds too clinical.
And
so there is this.
Yesterday
I was out for a run, weaving through snowflakes, distracted by whatever minor
things I had puffed into significance during the night. The steel colored clouds clung to the horizon,
just enough contrast to the barren trees to illustrate the frozen spring. I muttered to myself about the snow swirling
around me and thought of warmer places.
I
watched another runner coming my way on the opposite side of the street. Even from a distance I knew who she was. She has a distinctive gait; tenuous tip toes,
elbows pistoning in and out, weaving just a bit along the white line. Even under layers of winter gear, from a
quarter mile away, I recognize Jenny.
I
have run past her a hundred times and she always whoops a good morning at
me. She is a mature woman, a respected
judge in our community, but she carries a spirit of childlike exuberance that
is infectious. I had not seen her on the
road in a while, which for runners of a certain age can mean a lot of things. As it happens it was none of what it could
have been and the same serendipity that separated us now allowed our paths to
cross.
I
saw from the change in her that she had spotted me. I heard her yell my name, and she began to
veer into the middle of the road. As we
drew closer her arms opened up, a dramatic wingspan, as if she were victorious
again over the winner’s tape. I could hear her voice, not entirely sure of the
words, but the tone, the message was clear.
I
ran toward her and from ten feet I could see the huge smile on her face, her
cheeks red from the cold, her eyes wide under the knit cap pulled down on her
forehead. And then we hugged each other
good morning in the middle of the road.
It was a comical sight I am sure, both of us bundled up in winter gear,
clapping each other on the backs in the brittle morning air, our breath hung in
clouds around us.
Jenny
was her usual irrepressible self. “Isn’t
it a BEAUTIFUL morning?” she demanded. She
bubbled over with news, just having run a half marathon with her brother the
day before, laughing at herself, asking about me, then veering off to something
else. Less than a minute for the whole
thing, and then she was running off, looking back over her shoulder to say: “I’m
so glad I got to see you.”
I
ran the rest of the way home in a better frame of mind. Laughing a little at my own grumbling about
the weather or my puny problems, reminded by her example of what it’s like to
be your best self. It wasn’t until hours
later, when I bent over to touch the baby’s head that I recognized what had
happened to me.
I
would not be surprised if Jenny does not even know my last name. We have known each other for years in a
certain context and that is an excellent connection. But even understanding the nature of our
friendship, it is still incredibly uplifting to be greeted this way. Jenny is authentic in her expression, and
that I suppose is what makes all the difference.
What
occurs to me in all of this is two things.
First, my day holds many moments when someone genuinely is glad to see
me. It is only my dulled senses, and
whatever curmudgeon attitude I might have, that causes me to overlook them.
Second,
it seems to me that I might have been missing the opportunity to share what
Jenny does so well. She expresses her
joy in living in many ways, but this is something that could be simple to
emulate. To be able to simply tell
people in some way “I’m glad I got to see you.”
It’s so easy to do, and as I can attest, easy not to do. But if a dog can do it for someone, surely I
can.
Hope
this finds you smiling back,
David

No comments:
Post a Comment