January 18, 2016
Greetings
from your lucky day,
You
might have guessed since you’re reading this that I did not win the Mega-Maxi-Ultra-Super-Duper-Powerball
lottery. I guess it’s also possible that
you are not reading this because you were one of the winners, but that’s
another tangent.
The
reason I didn’t buy a ticket is I was distracted by the list of things that are
more likely to happen to me than winning the Powerball. These lists appear every time there is a big
payout, and to me it is always more interesting than winning itself, your
chances of which were 1 in 292 million.
According
to Time magazine, (Motto: We Didn’t Buy a Powerball Ticket) you are more likely
to die from constipation, an asteroid strike, hornet sting, lightning strike, or
be murdered in the Grand Canyon than win the Powerball. If you combine all of those events I don’t
know if you beat the odds for winning the lottery, but really after a day like
that who cares?
I
heard intelligent, rational, sensible people sketch out their justification for
buying lottery tickets. They always say
they know the probabilities, but... “if someone is going to win, why not
me? Why not today? You can’t win if you don’t play.” I get that.
If you have a chance to be wealthy, why wouldn’t you take it?
I
heard people talk about their choices.
The numbers they chose; kids’ birthdays, combinations of dates, addresses,
ages, and Kim Kardashian’s current weight.
They explained why they decided to buy $44 worth and didn’t spend $4400,
because that would be foolish. Where
they would go buy the ticket, whether that store had a winning record, and what
the odds were of that bolt of lightning hitting again. What time of day was the best, whether to
wear a lucky shirt or save that for the SuperBowl. Only so much mojo in cotton you know.
I
am not a gambler, other than the daily risks I take with asteroids and
lightning, but the cost of the ticket was not ever the issue. I just couldn’t suspend my disbelief long
enough to get the momentum needed to drive to the local party store and plop
down $2 for a list of random digits.
Just
so you know, this is not like being PBS snob; you know ‘I don’t watch TV, but
when I do it’s only PBS.’ I am not above
buying a lottery ticket; as a matter of fact I have a $5 winner in my sock
drawer right now. I’m waiting until I
get closer to retirement to cash it in.
One
common theme in every lottery discussion; what will you do if you win? 100% of the people I talked to (the honest
ones anyway) said they would quit their job. There was some token reference to
giving to the needy and paying off some debt, but then the choices diverge
depending on the level of inhibition. It’s
interesting to hear what people dream of if anything were possible.
To
one degree or another we all think that luck has something to do with the
quality of our lives. Some describe it
differently but in the vast chain reaction of our world there are random chance
events that affect us, sometimes positively sometimes adversely.
I
think that is where this lottery fever stems from. Yes, we know that what the math is, what the
odds are. But we have this hope, irrational
and unsullied by fact, that we might tip luck in our favor if we risk a few
numbers, a few dollars. And while you
wait to see the numbered balls bubble up, the mental lift you get from the
possibility, however remote, that your life could change dramatically for the
better in an instant, is worth it.
What
occurs to me this morning is why don’t we gamble like that with everything we
are passionate about? Why not ignore the
odds and invest ourselves in what might pay off for in the life we dream
of? You know what I am talking
about. It is that relationship you hesitate
over. The book you have not
written. The career you didn’t choose
first. The school you really wanted to
go to. Maybe it’s time. After all, someone’s going to win, why not
you?
I’ve
given this some serious thought, and I am certain if I do ever win the Powerball
I’ll still write Monday Moanin’. Might
be from the edge of my tropical island, but I’ll still be here every week. Just letting you know.
Hope
this finds you winning,
David
Copyright
© 2016 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment