Monday, December 21, 2015

Bad Rap




December 21, 2015

Greetings from the wrap artist,

Before long there will be a pool of presents around the tree.  A patchwork of color and pattern, Santa and bells, ribbons and bows, and shapes that tempt speculation, and perhaps a subtle shake.
But Christmas is not just about gifts.

It’s about gift wrapping.

There has always been potential.  When I was a boy, the few times I was asked to wrap a gift I attacked it with all the industriousness I could muster, and all the tape I could find.  The result was a papier-mache rendering that defied description… and opening.  My parents kept tools by the fireplace so we could chisel open gifts from me.

In order to disguise my ineptitude I applied the magician’s method of distraction.  I would use the comic page from the newspaper to wrap gifts, or perhaps a classic Hamady sack.  This was cute for a while but when you’re 20 and your Christmas gifts look more like litter than glitter it’s time to step up your game.

I tried for many years to be patient, to plan, to be neat and fastidious.  I would buy extra paper so I would not have those embarrassing gaps that had to be patched.  I used scissors instead of a steak knife to make more precise cuts.  I carefully sized the gift with the paper and trimmed away the excess.  Marked the paper, folded neatly, tweaked, taped and tucked.  Voila!  A wad that scientists refer to as Origami Detritus. 

I tried following the examples of my siblings.  Well, not my brother, the other ones.  They all seemed to have some creative dexterity that I lacked.  Lining up the patterns at the seams, neatly turned corners, invisible tabs of tape, accented with perfectly coiffed bows. They could wrap a pair of sweat socks and somehow make it look like Tiffany’s instead of All Sports.

One of my many sisters is famous for recycling her gift wrap.  I won’t say who she is because I don’t want to embarrass her, so we’ll just call her ‘Dawn’.  She would carefully unwrap each gift she was given, and separate the tape from the paper and then neatly store the paper for use later.  I suspect that she did this so she would have precut prefolded paper for the next gift she had to wrap.

The only way she was going to reuse my gift wrap is if she was giving someone a basketball.  Or a wad of paper.

Since becoming a parent it’s possible my standards have slipped further from whatever low they may have begun.  There have been years of production wrapping that, in spite of constructive direction from the quality control department, has produced a result that lacked the requisite artistry.  And looked like something the dog threw up.

But in the chaos of Christmas morning, no one really cared if the gifts were a little wrinkled and creased.  It’s the thought that counts.  (Best not to examine that axiom too closely.)

Still, I feel like I am in a new place, and there is potential.  So I watched a video on YouTube about gift wrapping.  It was very helpful except it the person wasn’t speaking English.  It is possible that I was accidentally watching a terrorist training film, so if the NSA is reading this, please do not freeze my bank accounts until the Visa bill is mailed.

It was in this quest I discovered Furoshiki.  This is a Japanese method of wrapping gifts, or anything, by using large swaths of expensive decorative fabric.  You knot and fold the cloth in a method that is uncannily close to how I fold my bath towels, and voila! Your gift is swaddled.

My sister, ‘Dawn’, would love this because it is totally reusable.  Plus your gift wrap can double as a diaper, table cloth, or a babushka.  Perhaps not in that order. 

Sure, I could use gift bags, or go to one of those fund raising gift wrapping tables at the mall where the marching band will mangle my gift into an anonymous shape for a small fee.   Or I could seriously practice until my gift wrapping skills get better.  It’s probably more likely that my handwriting will improve.  (Pause here for my Mom to say ‘I told you so’.)

The truth is I have not bought any actual gifts yet, so this whole gift wrapping thing is just an angst inducing exercise in hypothetical futility.  But once I started it was kind of hard to stop.

I am maturing and growing, and I still have potential.  Whenever there are actually gifts to be wrapped, I will attend to the process with the same dedication, love and creativity applied for the selection of the gifts themselves. 

Now, where are those Hamady sacks?

Hope this finds you wrapped up,

David



Copyright © 2015 David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment