September
14, 2015
Greetings
from the rising,
“The greatest glory in living lies not in never
falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Emerson
This
weekend I set out to test myself against the clock over a comically arbitrary
distance of 26.2 miles. I spent an
enormous amount of time and energy, both physical and mental, to prepare for
the challenge. I left the starting line completely certain of what I would
accomplish.
Fate
has a twisted sense of humor. I didn’t
beat the clock, that merciless competitor, even less sympathetic than I am
about the outcome. It is not the first
time for me to miss a goal, not the first time I put all I had on the line and
watched it dissolve in sweat and pain.
There
is no ‘thank you for trying’ from the marathon.
However you choose to deal with crossing the finish line has to come
from you. And therein is either the
beauty or the darkness, which is all in which path you take.
For
anyone who sets out to achieve something of any significance, anything that
tests your boundaries, there must be a belief that success possible. There must be something on which to build the
passion, the commitment. Without that
you would be too afraid to begin.
So
it is with the marathon. No one I have
ever met left the starting line believing they would fail. All of us believe, justified or not, that we
will reach what we strive for. Optimism
among marathoners is ingrained in our very essence.
And
there is the risk. This high altitude
sortie into our capabilities, driven by passion, determination, the momentum of
colossal preparation, fueled by our own demons and dreams, is a tightrope walk. In that there is the potential for great joy
and crushing disappointment. Because we
know, even if it is not on our lips, that in the rarefied air of testing our
limits the difference between those two worlds is razor thin.
That
reality came crashing in on me only a few miles from the finish, in an
anguishing battle between desire and truth.
It was not a pretty ending, either in form or demeanor, but they give
you a medal for getting through it anyway.
Thankfully,
I am blessed to be surrounded with very special people to remind me that in
every experience there is the beauty I seek, and it is not always presented in the
way I want. I was reminded of what I
know but could not see through my disappointment. These are not rationalizations or
justifications of anything. It is simply
unwrapping what I have been given and not what I asked for.
J.J.
Grey wrote song that came to me as I sat sifting through the pieces of the
day. It fits close enough to explain
what has gone through my mind, thankfully before the darkness had a chance.
“All
those simple thoughts, all those peaceful dreams,
Share the space with a hard worked, hard worked day
But it's the little things, the little things, not expectation
That make life worth living, worth living.”
Share the space with a hard worked, hard worked day
But it's the little things, the little things, not expectation
That make life worth living, worth living.”
This
day, this beautiful, breathtaking day, will be bookmarked in my mind as a remarkable
experience. In this quiet moment not
even 24 hours later I can see all of it clearly. The people I ran with, the sounds and smells,
the astounding view, the feeling that I could run forever. And that other part
too. I will treasure it, this ‘character
builder’ day, for its joys and challenges.
Every
marathoner knows the crash that follows the race; the marathon blues. When, no matter your time on the clock, there
now forms a vacuum where the challenge filled your soul. I will admit it is one I don’t like facing,
still stinging a bit from missing my Boston qualifier by two minutes. So new choices evolve.
After
one of his best marathons ever, George Sheehan wrote: “What do I do now? More of the same, only better. Run another and learn that much more about
myself and the world and Who made me.
Run another and another. Bathe
myself in pain and fatigue. Reach for
energies I have yet to use. Run another
and another and another. Make my truth
out of that experience, out of what happens.”
Hope
this finds you finding your truth,
David
Copyright
© 2015 David Smith

No comments:
Post a Comment