July
6, 2015
Greetings
from amidst our best,
Some
years ago I attended a writer’s conference, having only just mustered the
courage to call myself a writer. Among
the various activities there was an opportunity each day to sit at a table and
exchange essays we had written with other writers. Real writers.
Aside
from the initial full-body-sweat panic that I would be humiliated by the exercise,
it was a positive experience. It was an
encouraging group, and the comments on my work were supportive and generally
positive. But part of the benefit was seeing what others wrote, and trying to
think critically about it and then share that thinking. I left the table each time armed with a new
way of looking at my own writing.
It
is not a new concept. Working with a group of other people with similar objectives
can make us better. The exchange of
ideas, the new perspectives, the candid feedback from people you can trust is
what challenges us to find our potential.
I
am lucky to be connected with a network of professionals in business that meet
to share ideas of common interest. They
tend to be smart, motivated, innovative, and determined. It is good company to be in. When we get
together we are better because of it. As
Ken Blanchard likes to say: “None of us is as smart as all of us.” There is rarely a time I walk out of a
meeting with my peers without feeling like I have been given a gift.
I
once went to a workshop to develop a new set of skills. As part of the training, on the second day we
were asked to demonstrate what we had learned so far. I watched the other participants go through
their presentation I knew two things: 1. Everyone in the room was better at
this than me. 2. I was about to be humiliated in front of them. In spite of that very painful lesson, I
learned exactly what I came to learn and left with the skills I came for. I could not have created that experience in
another way.
None
of this, I am sure, is earthshattering.
These examples of finding people in my world to help sharpen my
abilities, and to give me a place to share whatever I might have to contribute,
are probably common in most people’s lives.
But the idea of being at my best, and better than that, because I
connect with other people, is sometimes intimidating. And sometimes it takes more effort than
inertia will allow.
I
generally run alone, which is good for many reasons. I run where I choose, as early as I like, at
the pace that I want to. It suits me on
most days, but I sometimes miss having someone pushing me along. Even the most motivated of us can ease up
when there is potential to push harder.
This
weekend I remembered the benefit of running with the pack. I signed up for a 20k race, fitting it in as
a training run. I did not have high
aspirations, but at the minimum I knew it would be a good workout.
I
set off at the start feeling all of the aches of the week, running on tired
legs. I had already set my goal for the
day based on the messages my body was giving me. I didn’t fully take into account the runners
who were going to challenge me.
I’ll
admit there is a certain amount of pressure to compete, to keep up with the
pack, and I went out a little faster than I intended, knowing that I would
level out before long. After a few
miles, the kinks in my muscles smoothed out.
The fatigue was pushed down by the strength stored for mornings like
this.
And
somewhere about halfway through the race the momentum swung in a different way. The idea that I would hang back and coast
through a training run slowly dissolved.
What took its place was the potential that was there all along, brought
out by the power of the people around me.
Runners
of all ages and abilities, all with their own history, different levels of
effort, peculiar methods, personal goals.
I sometimes forget what it is like to soak in the energy that comes from
being in the company of others on the road.
As hard as I push myself when I run alone, it’s not the same.
What
is different is seeing what is possible.
To see what other runners are capable of, for their own reasons, their
own training, their own motivation. It is inspirational and challenging and
educational. And sometimes you get a
glimmer of what is possible for you.
I
found myself swept up in that enthusiasm.
I ran faster than I intended to, knowing that my legs were not really up
to it. But of course I was wrong about
that. After the race, feeling as alive
as I am meant to feel, panting through a smile, it came back to me why I love
to sign up for races. It came back to me
that this is as important as the solitary runs.
I
also remembered all the mornings I ran with friends, some faster, some smarter,
some more successful. The training was
more challenging, the conversations more stimulating, and the diverse
perspectives were inspiring. Those
experiences sharpened me.
In
all of this is a message for me. It is
far too easy to develop patterns and habits that make my life easier, more ‘efficient’. Sometimes in that process I can miss out on
the opportunities for growth.
Like
this; before the race I met a woman named Willy. She is 74, came to running late in life, only
35 years ago. She had a calm,
comfortable manner about her. It was
interesting to me that she decided to fit in a 10k race on her drive from
Florida to Canada, just part of the trip.
She mentioned that she was not running as much as she used to, because
she was getting more into triathlons.
Not making a point, not looking to impress anyone, just talking across
the picnic table to new friends.
Sometimes you get a glimmer of what is possible.
I
will sign up for more races, join more groups, seek new perspectives. I am certain that this is where I will learn
the most from others and about myself.
It will give me something to think about on my long solo runs.
Hope
this finds you in good company,
David

No comments:
Post a Comment