June
15, 2015
Greetings
from the stories,
“You
are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.” Kahlil Gibran
Yesterday
was Father’s Day, and as an extra honor, the longest day of the year. I opened my Father’s Day gift early; the
first day of Summer. It was an enjoyable
day, for many reasons, including having a few moments to consider my place in
the arc of time.
Last
night my son Carson asked me “What is your favorite story about your Dad?” I couldn’t answer right then because it there
are volumes of experiences to consider.
My
Dad had a full life before he left us a baker’s dozen ago. He was a good father I think, and
interestingly something different to each of his children. I imagine each of us has our own favorite
stories. And with these we have all been
sent off on our own trajectories, living our own full lives. We carry pieces of him forward, I suppose, as
we head down our paths, and as we launch our own children down theirs.
Which
made me wonder what ‘favorite stories’ I have created for my kids.
Some
months ago my sister Jennifer began looking at our family tree. It is a fascinating exploration, which I’m
grateful for. There are whole
generations of people whose names I didn’t know until recently, which is both
exciting and sad.
What
I thought of as I looked at the line of ancestry stretching back from my
children, through their father, and my father, was the multitude of stories
that each generation created. How those
seasoned them and shaped their choices and guided their direction.
I
traced back as far as the lineage could be shown, over 200 years ago, to my
father’s great-great grandfather, George. George could not imagine what my children
would be planning for their future, half way round the world from the village
where he considered his father’s influence and what to say to his own children.
I
don’t know what he told his son Alexander, or what Alexander told Robert, or
what he told Hume. Or what grandpa told
my Dad. But something was carried
forward.
I
like to think that if George was kind, or generous, or curious, or optimistic,
or adventurous, or courageous, or honest, that these traits would somehow make
their way to whatever influence I may have with my children.
I
also know that I create my life, and I choose what my actions will be and how I
will deal with the circumstances that I am given. But I also know I am influenced by important
people in my life, including my father.
And, likely so it is with my children.
I
can’t know the stories that were told about George, but I can glimpse them from
what I know of my own father.
When
I was perhaps thirteen, I planned to ride my bicycle to meet the rest of my
family in a campground midway up the state from us. It was a big adventure, one I had planned for
weeks. My bike was packed, standing on
the sidewalk in front of the house. I
couldn’t see it from the living room window because the torrential downpour
blocked my vision. I was back in the
house, dripping wet.
I
crept upstairs and nudged open my parent’s bedroom door where my father was
sleeping.
“Dad”
I
could tell he was awake because he raised his head in the dark. “What?”.
“I
was getting ready to go…”
No
response. I imagine, five o’clock in the
morning, half asleep, he was digesting what he was hearing. I went on:
“It’s
raining, really hard. Storming. I can’t even see the street.”
He
didn’t say anything right away. It might
have taken him a full minute, but it seemed like an hour. In that time I was waiting for him to tell me
to stay home, stay dry, to go another day.
Be sensible. Stay warm.
“How
far is it?” he asked.
I
didn’t expect the question but I had stared at my maps for endless hours and
knew the answer instantly, answered automatically. “One hundred twenty miles.”
He
settled back into his pillow, another long pause. “You better get started then.”
I
never asked him what he thought that morning.
Maybe he knew how important this adventure was to me, that I had planned
it and thought about it for hours every day.
Maybe he knew I needed to push past the challenges to get what I wanted,
and on the other side there would be a richer life. Or maybe he just wanted to go back to
sleep.
But
decades later, when I was a father myself, and the two of us were chatting
about something I had just been through, some adventure that had gone haywire,
he said to me. “Memories are made of inconveniences.” And then I knew.
George,
Alexander, Robert and Hume carved out a life, raised families, sent them out
into the world with the best they had to offer as fathers. And one day my father, armed with this
heritage, got off a boat in this country and started making his own memories,
which one day would season my life. And
my stories, whatever they amount to, will somehow be shared with the four
arrows I launch into a future I will not see.
Hope
this finds you writing your story,
David

No comments:
Post a Comment