Monday, May 5, 2014

Kentucky Derby

May 5, 2014

Greetings from the furlong,

What I was going to say was that I gave up the Kentucky Derby for Lent.

I like to think that I am of reasonable intelligence, and possess the ability to focus on important subjects for appropriate lengths of time.  I like to think I have the mental discipline that produces single minded acuity.   It’s not true, but I like to think it.

It’s not unusual for me to lose focus in a very short span of time, including while I have been on elevators.  There have been times when I will push a button and then think about something else and then forget on which floor I was supposed to get off.   I also admit that I have gotten on an elevator and not pushed the button at all and then mentally checked out.  Then the door opens again and I am still on the same floor, confused, and forced to pretend I intended to get off on that floor, which leads to all kinds of face saving complications, including walking up seven flights of stairs.

So the subject of the Kentucky Derby was floated in casual conversation.  I was paying attention at first, but by the time the second hand had swept all the way around my watch, I was already wondering about something else.  Elevator inspectors, I think.

The Kentucky Derby is a big deal in horse racing.  Some say it is the ‘Superbowl’ of horse racing, though Derby aficionados would be aghast at such a crass comparison.  As a side note, there is a big field in the middle of Churchill downs where a football game could be staged during Derby week in order to entertain people in when things are dull.  Just an idea.

The Derby has been described as ‘The Greatest Two Minutes in Sports’, which to me would seem a little presumptuous.  I would say that there are athletes in the last two minutes of a marathon, or the March Madness finals, or the last 120 seconds of round fifteen with Cassius Clay, that might take exception to that claim.

In fact, it might be all of the Kentucky Derby pretentiousness that puts me off.  Frankly, I’m not even sure it qualifies as a sport; it seems there is a lot more primping than competing.  I have no doubt that the jockeys are working hard, though not near as hard as the horses, and we know who is taking home the bigger payday in that pairing.   Not sure if the new minimum wage would solve that.  But I digress.

I have thought about other sports, from NASCAR to curling, and they all have their own rituals and celebrations.  They all have traditions, ceremony, and rigmarole, some more involved than others.  Truth be known, I don’t really identify much with those events either, in part because most sports require a span of attention slightly longer than the few seconds that mine has been limited to. 

But at the Kentucky Derby the spectacle is somehow elevated beyond the pale of the ordinary sport.  There are formal gowns and sophisticated drinks and elegant couture, and at some point, horses with flowers on them. It’s like some staged a prom and a horse race broke out.  It is designed to be more genteel, more regal, more refined.  These words have never been included in the same paragraph as my name.  The Kentucky Derby might just be too hoity-toity for a boy from the Midwest whose idea of a well spent afternoon is losing track of time.

At the heart of the Kentucky Derby pomp is the ladies’ hats.  Ornate, bright, and most important, big.  The style this year was to have a brim large enough to shelter a herd of thoroughbreds.  I am not sure if the horses wear hats too, although I believe that at one time they wore bowlers, which is where the Derby reference came from.   

The question was “Are you going to watch the Kentucky Derby?”  Deep in the recesses of my brain there was a funny remark, a combination of sarcasm and a little irreverence, all designed to express my indifference toward the presumptuous pageantry paraded in the premiere pony play-off.   Unfortunately they were embedded a little too deep in the recesses and I lost interest before they showed up on my tongue.      

I realize now, of course, that Lent ended a week ago; I just lost track of time, paying attention to a series of less important things in an ever-descending spiral down to the subject of weight limits on elevators.  So even if I had been alert enough to express myself, the response might have seemed at the very least irrelevant. 

Regardless, I am interested in improving my attention span, and expanding my cultural horizons, so I have decided to commit to watching the Kentucky Derby, the whole two minutes.  I will whip up a pitcher of mint juleps, put on my biggest hat, and as soon as I can figure out when it is running, I will warm up the TV and enjoy the spectacle with the best of the gentry.

Hope this finds you in the winner’s circle,

David

Copyright © 2014 David Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment